cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow 3g

Anonymous
Not applicable
Why is 3g so slow at helps field and Sutton hill telford speed Ofton down to 10 k or or less when I complain same old reply nothing wrong it must be your phone even after I have tested using to phones
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

There you go @Anonymous a "My Signal has improved" post ! LOL

No, seriously I'm sorry to hear that people are still having trouble with this... Unfortunately we have to be patient with this situation as O2 is working to try to solve this as fast as possible.

Message 11 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Anonymous to be honest poor 3g signal is starting to become a national problem. Users have a signal, usually h+, but using it is another issue.

Capacity and transmission are a big headache. Even In the bigger towns and cities capacity can be non existent.

Ronan Dunne (CEO O2) even issued a press release earlier this year saying 4g was not the reason for the decline in 3g signal. So he is aware. But o2 are not taking to its customers. Not explaining why our what they are doing about it.
Message 12 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

As an O2 customer for over 15  years I am starting to despair at how poor the 3G coverage in Telford has become.

I recently went into the O2 shop in the town centre and complained that my local transmitter in Castlefields Way seems to have been downgraded from 3G to Edge?  I also pointed out that I couldn't get a 3G signal in the Town centre and when I tried to use what seems like a reasonable 3G signal on the nearby Colliers Way retail park I have continually been unable to receive any kind of data throughput.

The O2 Shop suggested that this might be fixed by a new sim and they did the transfer for me there and then.  After the transfer I still could not receive a 3G signal in Telford Town Centre and eventually the staff member admitted to me that he couldnt either.

This wouldnt be so bad if it wasnt for the fact that Telford is set to grow at a faster pace than any other town in the UK with 10,000's of houses being built in the very near future (due to take the population to excess of 200,000 making it comparable with many cities) and phenomenol investment being made in the Town Centre and on local facilities to support this expansion.

But it seems O2 are completely oblivious to these facts as they continually treat their users outside of the main UK cities with what can only be described as utter contempt!

Message 13 of 22

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
It's no different in many of the big cities at the moment either....
Network congestion due to too many subscribers on an old infrastructure that cannot support the numbers....
Network upgrades are supposed to be ongoing but to be honest we're not hearing much in the way of positives about this either, sadly.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 14 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

Its fair to say lots of people across the Uk are suffering from what is becoming more and more evident as mast congestion while 02 upgrade their network masts.

Message 15 of 22

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

We're all in the same boat in most major cities as the oversubscribed network struggles to cope with the demand for data.

Message 16 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Anonymous and welcome

There appears to be two issues here.

1. Where there is no 3g it could be a result of a decommissioned mast. I don't think o2 would downgrade an ongoing mast from 3g to 2g only. It could be that they are in the process of upgrading but o2 refuse to share that info.

Where you are able to access 3g but can't actually use it, that is a backhaul transmission issue and is happening more and more across the country. The issue is that for o2 data traffic has increased as i recall by over 60% in just one year and the backhaul can't cope. This is why o2 are upgrading across the country and are scheduled to update 2g 3g and 4g for 98% of the population by 2017.

Basically when you use data, your phone talks to the nearest mast and then the mast sends it down the fibre broadband network. Then the information you await comes back the other way. Not all masts have been fibre enabled yet of course and some of those that have are already experiencing capacity issues. It is likely things will get worse before they get better as the rollout continues. This is affecting all the networks in different ways.
Message 17 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Bejeezus, 

me and my friend, (both O2) have noticed this massive drop in the coverage of 3G in telford, we work very close to the city centre, and with the signal going from a fine H+ to E (when you try and use it) is just not acceptable. 

it cities, and some towns its fine, and especially where i get a 4G connection. but as you mentioned telford is rapidly expanding, the amount of new buildings going up is crazy fast. also its the amount of tech companies in telford that if you don't get a good phone connection, you going to go looking somewhere else that does provide one.

tried using the App to report it (heard nothing back ) and trying to do a speed test, well if you had a connection i guess it might work. 

anyhow , just wanted to throw my 2 cents in, and glad its not just me and my friend that noticed this dreadful service.

Message 18 of 22

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Apparently the My Network app will store the location and relevant data and send the report to O2 when you are back in range of a good signal.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 19 of 22

Anonymous
Not applicable
Take solace in that you are indeed not alone. 😞
Message 20 of 22