cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signature Guidelines: What are your thoughts?

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hey guys and gals,

Some of you may remember a few weeks back where we were discussing signatures and their size.

Its very common for communities/forums to apply a limit to them in our guidelines and we may do this in the near future. I have a some thoughts on what to include in the guidelines but would really like to hear all of your thoughts on how you feel about the different aspects.

How do you feel about:

- Signature size?

- Signature content?

- Signature designs? Are pictures OK, or just text?

If it were up to you, what would apply as a signature guideline?

Eager to hear your thoughts slight_smile

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93217 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

Personally I feel two lines should be the maximum.

Quote or amusing anecdote (profound or funny can be thought provoking)

Obviously no external links.

Pictures I feel are a little too much unless contained within the badge as it takes up storage space and can take far too long to load especially when viewing the community on a handheld device away from strong wifi signal.

Sometimes you forever scroll with the amount of space taken up by a single post although most people don't go overboard.

I also feel signature text size should be limited as again, it sometimes detracts from the actual post.

Message 2 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 122895 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

I am happy that it stays as it is. As long as we are allowed, within reason, to be unique.. (if we so wish) wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 17

MI5
  • 144296 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

A couple of lines max and keep it relevant...

It would also be helpful if the text could be made smaller than the forum text by default.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have previously expressed a view that the signature area really ought to contain some useful information (for example the links that some users have) rather than merely humourous remarks or mottoes..."  I remain of that view and that is why I do not now use the signature area.

I also agree with  @jonsie as regards  the number of lines and having NO pictures or photos within a signature.  

@Cleoriff makes a good point about retaining individuality - though personally  I think the place for that is in members' profiles.  Profiles could be used to good purpose to highlight areas of "expertise" that members feel they bring to the Forum, as well as listing the equipment they have experience of using.  The latter might alternatively be suitable material for the signature area if couched in terms such as " O2 Customer since dd/mm/yy with experience of ...{phone models]  on monthly and/or P&G tariffs".    These two thoughts might be combined if it were possible to insert in the signature a link to the Profile.

A signature is (or should be) to some extent an indication of the "authority" in a broad sense of the writer,  hopefully giving the reader some added confidence that the advice above the signature is worthy of consideration. 

Since I have very limited experience in terms of makes and models of phones I have personal experience of using, and also since my main reason for participating in this Forum at all has been to obtain help and advice rather than to give it, my signature area will remain blank for the foreseeable.  When and where appropriate I may throw out the odd comment or ask questions for clarification.  My main contributions, if they can be called that, are likely to be in the off-topic board where signatures are somewhat irrelevant anyway.

It will be interesting to see the eventual guidelines.

Gerry

Message 5 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Toby

I agree with everything said.

slight_smile
Message 6 of 17

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Thanks a lot for your thoughts guys, a nice mix of views.

My initial thoughts consisted of the font size (as MI5 pointed out), as well as the picture issue (jonsie's badge idea is something I've used in previous forums)
I also agree with Cleo though, individuality should be celebrated. You are all very individual though, dont you worry about that wink

I need to have a think haha. Keep any thoughts coming guys

Get involved:

Message 7 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 122895 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

I am of the opinion that we really don't need to overthink this issue of the signature..

To put a list of mobile phones on mine would cause much hilarity... (I have one)

However, I like to see what others have.

I also like @jonsie 's signature with all the help links.....

Mine is a bit of fun...some people know I am obsessed with Sherlock...hence * The Game Is On*....

I am also obsessed with Johnny Depp, though I feel anything I may put about him would be moderated immediately......LOL

I am sad to see @Anonymous won't be writing a new signature...His daily mottos and phrases really made me laugh out loud Smiley Very Happy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 17

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
I agree Cleo. Its a smaller issue but I like to get you all involved when I can slight_smile

Get involved:

Message 9 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Cleoriff

I agree.

The signature field should be left to the individual member to do with ,as long as it doesn't contain anything to infringe the current guidelines ,or take up too much space.

I looked forward to seeing what @Anonymous was going to put in his signature next ~ awesome.

I occasionally put a quote for a short period of time but like Gerry I will refrain now.

1st world problems. wink
Message 10 of 17