cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Security Concerns

Anonymous
Not applicable

Earlier today, I recieved an unsolicited call from a number I did not recognise. The caller purported to be from O2 and wanted to discuss an upgrade,

His next comment was that he needed to confirm my address - I refused to do this on the grounds that I don't give out any information with security implications to random unsolicited calls. He rehearsed the it's company policy, normal procedure line which I did not buy. I pointed out that it would make more sense if he were able to confirm to me that he was in fact from O2.

What was more worrying was that he was willing to give me "any other information about the account" and went on to list bank details, password etc.

This is a very worrying state of affairs and I wondered what O2's views on this are. As my contract terminates in a few weeks, I'd like to know so that I can make an informed decision about my next contract!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93176 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

O2 have a list of trusted partners with your account details. I too feel this shouldn't  be allowed under any  circumstances . O2 may trust them but I don't personally and would never take up offers from a cold call.

Message 2 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

He could of been O2 or one of their trusted partners.

You can ask to be removed from this setting by calling O2.

Also report the call via 202 to customer services too.

If your concerned as to change your passwords.

As a rule of thumb is say never uograde or take out a contract from a cold call and always do homework on what's available.

Look online , at independents and in high street shops.
Message 3 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

To add you can also write to O2 to be removed too.

Telefónica UK Limited
Correspondence Department

PO BOX 694

Winchester

SO23 5AP

From O2's T&C.

21.4 You also agree to the information described in paragraph 21.3 being used, analysed and assessed by us and the other parties identified in paragraph 21.3 and selected third parties for marketing purposes including amongst other things to identify and offer you by phone, post, the Network, your Mobile Phone, email, text (SMS), media messaging, automated dialling equipment or other means, any further products, services and offers which we think might interest you. If you don’t want your details to be used for marketing purposes, please write to us c/o The Data Controller, Telefónica UK Limited 260 Bath Road, Slough, SL1 4DX or through the ‘Contact Us’ section of our Website. You’ll need to tell us your full name, address, account number and Mobile Phone number. For details on how we use your information please refer to our Privacy Policy on our Website.

Message 4 of 9

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
HI Rjimlad,

I'm Toby, the community coordinator here. Welcome!

I'm about to send you a private message about this.
Cheers
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 5 of 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144153 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
O2 will not tell you your password unless you pass other security checks and even then they will only allow you to reset it to a new one.
I find it quite worrying that some random caller has all that account info to hand and it's no wonder that accounts get hacked.
Surely this is in breech of the DPA?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 9

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

The DPA these days is a joke. It's more directed towards companies protecting themseves and people having to buy back the information stored about them without their consent. This sounds very cynical however you sign away your rights a lot of the time you sign a contract.

However on that point security is a moot issue.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 7 of 9

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

One security improvement I have noticed recently, there have been very few, if any, unauthorised account changes to obtain a new phone fraudulently.

I remember many instances of phones being delivered to a fraudulently changed address and only being discovered after the event by the true account holder.

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-Feedback/My-O2-account-was-hacked/td-p/209072/highlight/tru...

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 8 of 9

MI5
  • 144153 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27623 Solutions
Yes, that used to be a popular topic at one time but since the text verification was deployed it seems to have put a stop to it. Simple fix really after all......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 9 of 9