cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 16GB 4G 10.1 - Try The Tech ~ User Review.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Device name : Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 16GB 4G 10.1.

By : BandofBrothers.

Tab 3 Pic 1.jpg

The manufacturers specifications and more Product Information can be found here : http://www.samsung.com/hk_en/consumer/mobile/mobile-phones/mobile-tablet/GT-P5220ZWATGY

I would like to start this ‘Try The Tech’ Review with a respectful Thank you to  @Toby , @Anonymous and @Marjo our O2 Community Site Management, and 02 for permitting me once again to get my teeth into reviewing a device via the ‘Try The Tech Programme’, a gadget which I normally wouldn't have played with.  Thanks!

To join this programme and perhaps try a device out yourself then just keep an eye out on the forum board here :  http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Welcome-News/bd-p/3  ,and put your name forward via a Private Message to Toby when he announces a new Phase of reviewing, and put yourself forward for a device(s) that interest you - Its as easy as that.  

As with all the devices I review I retire my own phone and use this one as my primary option, with all its specs turned on to enjoy the fullest experience I can, and to give a balanced piece on it.

However in this instance due to the size of this Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 4G 10.1 ,and the nature of the work I do I have this time retired my iPad Air, and used it mainly at home and only taking it out to coffee shops.

Design.

The design of the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 4G 10.1 oozes quality and solid workmanship, and its just so thin and light to handle.

I did raise an eyebrow when I first caught sight of the plastic rear shell but I need not have been alarmed as it didn't detract from the device in any way - although I believe this did make the tablet a little slippery to handle.

This is the first time I have tackled a tablet that can also be used as a phone that also is a device that cannot be used one handed. Was I put off by this - absolutely not. It was simply a joy to use.

The 10.1 screen is equipped with 1280 x 800 resolution with a very bright clear display. The devices Internal memory is 16GB, which can be expanded up to 64GB, via Micro SD Card slot and the Ram is a very impressive 2GB.

The power on/off button is very tactile as is the volume rocker switch which are both located on the top edge of the tablet.The Micro SD card and Sim Card Slots are located on the top edge of the tablet. The Micro USB port is located in the middle on the bottom edge of the tablet. Speakers are located on the left hand and right hand edges offering stereo sound. Earphone 3.5mm jack is located on the left hand edge near the top.

Operating System & UI.

What I found under its hood was stock Android 4.2.2  - 1.6GHz dual core processor.

The tablet accepts a Micro Sim Card.

Phone Calls , Texts, Internet and General Usage.

The boot up and power down times are fast and the screen is responsive and quite fast.

It handled YouTube videos and streaming with no issues.

I made a few outbound calls and also received inbound calls which were clear for both myself and the person I was calling, and the loudspeakers located on both the left hand and right hand edges performed very well. I didn't experience any distortion at all.  

The menu touch capacitive button, physical home button and back capacitive touch button are very responsive, but the button areas are too large, and this can cause issues. I found that when resting it on my lap even my shirt would activate the buttons.

The keyboard was easy to use in sending text messages and writing posts on forums and is quite responsive.

Internet Connection was strong and 4G is fast. The internet experience was a breeze to use and buttery smooth in most aspects. That said it didn't feel as snappy as my iPad Air and found myself having to wait that little bit longer for it to access pages, and record some button presses.

Wifi connectivity both to my Home Broadband Router and the Coffee shops I frequent along with our free City Centre Wifi gave me no issues ref drop outs.

I also found the screen to be readable in sunny conditions outdoors and was just as fine indoors too. The clarify of fonts and vibrant colours complemented the tablet screen specs.

The tablet pushed my e mails and notifications to me from my server with ease, which is something that is a ‘want and need’ from any communication device I use.

The Apps available from GooglePlay were the usual affair of useful, eye candy and dross.

The tablet coped very well with games I tried out. As usual I played Fifa 14, which pushes most devices to see if it offers a good gaming experience.

The ringtone alerts were loud and clear again something which is a want and need due to the environment I work in. {although as i said earlier I did not take this to work due to the environment i work in}

This tablet has so many features you can set up its amazing and makes the device a joy to use. SmartRemote was handy to use.

Battery.

I turned on every spec within the tablet and used it as my primary device and found that it gave me around around a days usage. {Please take into account I had everything turned on in the Tablets settings, e mails set to push every 5 minutes, and used it quite heavily} 

In my opinion I don't want to turn this and that spec off, and reduce screen on times etc, and rush what I'm doing before the screen times out etc. I want to enjoy what the device brings.

Camera.

The camera has a 3MP camera which is enough for me when i need to capture that ‘special moment’ picture. The front facing camera is 1.3MP. Okay its not the best the market can deliver, but it was good enough for what I as a casual picture taker would ever need.

Music.

As a regular commuter on public transport all I ask is for a decent experience whilst listening to my tunes, which the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10.1 provided very well. Their are lots of bells and whistles for one to play around with within the music settings if you deem its warranted.

Accessories.

I found the usual affair of weird and wonderful expensive and low cost sleeves and cases for this tablet on well known selling sites, and on the high-street.

Here is an example of a pouch.

tab3 pouch - Front_black_thumb.png

The Good for me about this Tablet.

Quality of workmanship.

Light to handle.

Very decent display.

Good Performance overall.

Very Responsive Screen.

Battery gave approx a days usage..

Micro SD Card Slot up to 64gb.

4G.

SmartRemote.

The Not so good for me about this Tablet.

Non removable Battery.

Slippery to hold.

Capacitive Buttons area are too large causing accidental activations.

Price could be a dealbreaker.

My Rating out of 10.

7/10.

Conclusion.

I would very happily use and own this tablet.

Pictures to help show how the camera performed.

Subject Name : Taylor.  Cat

taylor1.jpg

Taylor3.jpg

Taylor getting nosy - sorry for the quality but was worth adding  Weird

Taylor2.jpg

I hope you enjoyed my review as much as I enjoyed reviewing this Tablet.

Feedback

74 Comments
Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122813 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Good review BoB. As you know, I always enjoy reading the reviews posted by those who trial the tech.

On a personal note (and slightly off topic)... Taylor is a dead ringer for my cat Bugsy wink

jonsie
  • 93181 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

How did you find the lack of notification LED?

Your findings re the menu button areas confirm my own experience.

Nice review by the way slight_smile

MI5
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Apart from the 4G capability it doesn't sound much different to my Tab 2, so if price is a consideration, the Tab 2 will be a cheaper alternative.....
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

How did you find the lack of notification LED?

Your findings re the menu button areas confirm my own experience.

Nice review by the way slight_smile

Hi jonsie.

Thank you.

As I use an iPhone I'm used to not having any notification LED's ,so didn't miss it.

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Awesome review Lee!

'Oozes' is a great word to use grin
Anonymous
Not applicable
Cheers Toby. wink

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have my name down for this device after you @Anonymous so i hope you looked after it for me.

I am seriously thinking of replacing my Nexus 7 (picture quality not great or adjustable to watch sport on) and replacing with a Tab 3 or Tab 4.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Anonymous

It's all wiped down and fully charged up.

I'll be popping to the Post Office tomorrow to send it back.

Enjoy. slight_smile
Anonymous
Not applicable
Excellent. I shall hope that @Toby will turn it straight round. ........ pretty please Toby 😆😆😆😕
jonsie
  • 93181 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

The only problem I found was that the tab 3 is so slippery and it really needs a cover. I had to carry it around in a laptop bag but better safe than sorry.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Right now i am torn between the Tab 3 10.1, Tab 4 10.1 or the Tab 3 8.0 or Tab 4 8.4.

Decisions
Anonymous
Not applicable
Jonsie said "The only problem I found was that the tab 3 is so slippery and it really needs a cover. I had to carry it around in a laptop bag but better safe than sorry."

I agree. I've read that some people in the States affix strips to add grip to gadgets, as they don't like a full on case. The kind of material skateboarders use to add grip for their feet !
Anonymous
Not applicable
Piperdog123 said "Right now i am torn between the Tab 3 10.1, Tab 4 10.1 or the Tab 3 8.0 or Tab 4 8.4.

Decisions"

Looks like a busy time checking out and demo testing those models. slight_smile
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yep. I have tried the Tab 3 8.0 before. So now i want to test the larger one. Then i will decide on price v spec
Anonymous
Not applicable
Exciting times ahead.
jonsie
  • 93181 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Difficult choice ahead. I'm still debating whether to take the Nexus 7 or replace it with a bigger tablet when I go to Thailand for 3 months...decisions!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @jonsie

I had the first generation of Nexus 7 (16gb). It is a pretty good device overall but when i watch football on it through streaming it doesn't appear possible to adjust the colours or picture quality. So for that reason i am thinking of upgrading.

I have tried the Tab 3 8.0 and like it but then i am a Samsung Fan anyway.
jonsie
  • 93181 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

I have the 2nd generation 32gb but to be honest I haven't tried streaming football on it. The 10.1 inch tab is an ideal size for me but I need to work out whether I want to go to that expense just yet as I'm wanting to take the Note 4 once it's released.

Anonymous
Not applicable
I may end up acquiring both.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Evening Mr Samsung UK.

Any chance of a buy one get one free? ???? Pleeeeeeeeeeaseeeeee 😆😆😆😆
Anonymous
Not applicable
If you don't ask ~ You don't get in life.

Good luck with that request Nick. wink
Anonymous
Not applicable

A little bit late but: Amazing review @Anonymous !

heart TaylorCat

Anonymous
Not applicable
Now @Anonymous

About my idea of a buy one get one free on a Note 4 and Galaxy Tab 3 or 4? How ya fixed? ???? 😆😆😆😆
Anonymous
Not applicable

hahaha

Anonymous
Not applicable
Argh @Anonymous What ever happened to "positive first response"?

I won't try the customer is always right cos they ain't.

Oh well, as a work in progress i will keep hoping for your message that says yeah go on then. .......

Hopefully not too long a wait 😈😈
Anonymous
Not applicable
You are a tryer Nick. wink
Anonymous
Not applicable
MarinaP said "A little bit late but: Amazing review @Anonymous !

Taylor"

Thank you, much appreciated.

MI5
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
You are atryer Nick. wink

Very trying LOL

jonsie
  • 93181 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Get nowhere without cheek!:smileyhappy:

Anonymous
Not applicable
Wonder if I could 'try' for a Samsung Galaxy s5 ? @Toby & @Anonymous

Wink wink nudge nudge. wink
MI5
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
If you get an S5 I want an iPhone 6 wink
Anonymous
Not applicable
I was speaking to my daughter yesterday as she was asking about the recent invitations sent out by Apple and would I be watching the keynote.

When I mentioned my intention to possibly choose the s5 I literally had to pick her chin up off the floor.

slight_smile
Anonymous
Not applicable
MI5 said "If you get an S5 I want an iPhone 6 "

Ha

I knew I'd convert you to the Dark Side one way or another. wink
MI5
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
It's only fair I try one out to see how bad they really are slight_smile
jonsie
  • 93181 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Ha

I knew I'd convert you to the Dark Side one way or another. wink

Never happen!

jonsie
  • 93181 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

If you tried the iphone 5 there won't be a lot of difference wink

Anonymous
Not applicable
Jonsie

I like to think ~ Never say never wink

Lol.
MI5
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

4s wink

jonsie
  • 93181 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@jonsie wrote:

4s wink

Same difference...or not!Smiley Very Happy

MI5
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
Oh well, it would be wasted on me then.... I'll take the S5 instead slight_smile
jonsie
  • 93181 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Top man...

Cleoriff
  • 122813 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

And yet another thread that has turned into a Samsung v Apple war....Bouncy

BoB PLEASE don't get the S5...where would be the fun in ths forum without having you to knock nine bells out of....because of your love for the  'forbidden fruit'...

MI5
  • 144168 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
There will always be a war until bob admits defeat and surrenders slight_smile
Cleoriff
  • 122813 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
There will always be a war until bob admits defeat and surrenders slight_smile

Nope...there would be no fun in that...let him stick to his iPhones. we all need a good laugh now and then LOL

Anonymous
Not applicable
Absolutely. Poor BoB he takes some stick for his love of his 1 a day.

Maybe just maybe one day he will get his Android fix.
jonsie
  • 93181 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Absolutely. Poor BoB he takes some stick for his love of his 1 a day.

Maybe just maybe one day he will get his Android fix.

He gets it with the tech trial...

Probably go mad without thatLOL

Cleoriff
  • 122813 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Meanwhile he sleeps on...totally unaware we are running riot ...on his thread..in his absence..Bouncy

jonsie
  • 93181 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

He'll be back at 6.00am getting his own back...:smileywink:

Cleoriff
  • 122813 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@jonsie wrote: