cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 -> My Review by BandOfBrothers.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Device name : Samsung Galaxy Note 3

samsung-galaxy-note-3.jpg

By : BandofBrothers.

I would like to start this ‘Try The Tech’ Review with my usual and respectful Thank you to  @Toby , @MarinaP and @Marjo our O2 Community Site Management, and to 02 for permitting me once again to get my teeth into reviewing a device via the ‘Try The Tech Programme’, a gadget which I normally wouldn't have played with.  

To join this programme and perhaps try a device out yourself then just keep an eye out on the forum board here :  http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Welcome-News/bd-p/3  ,and put your name forward via a Private Message to Toby or Marina when they announce a new Phase of reviewing, and put yourself forward for a device(s) that interest you - Its as easy as that.  

The manufacturers specifications and more Product Information can be found here : http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/mobile-devices/galaxy-note/smartphones/SM-N9005ZKEBTU 

Specifications : http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/mobile-devices/galaxy-note/smartphones/SM-N9005ZKEBTU

The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 accepts a Micro Sim Card.

Design

I really do like the way the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 is put together ,and it is also thin and very light and comfortable to hold. That said I'm not overly keen on the fake leather stitched style back cover. {Not a dealbreaker}

This is also a phone that a person cannot use one handed all the time ,but that's not a deal breaker either for me, and the sPen helps dramatically. 

The 5.7" screen is equipped with 1080 x 1920 pixels with a very bright clear display.

The devices Internal memory is 32GB ,with the option of a SD Card up to 64GB, and the Ram is a very respectable 3GB. The snappiness of the phone is very apparent. 

Operating System & UI.

What I found under its hood was stock Android 4.2.2. and a 2.3Ghz Quad Processor. 

Phone Calls, Texting, Internet and General Usage.

The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 handled YouTube videos I like to view with absolutely no problems at all. Accessing forums and blog sites etc were seamless and buttery smooth. 

I made calls and received calls which were crystal clear for both parties. 

The keyboard was the usual android affair and was easy to use in sending text messages and writing posts on forums. The sPen came into its own here too. 

The internet experience using Chrome was a breeze to use.

Wifi connectivity to my Home Broadband Router and shops I frequent along with my free City Centre Wifi gave me no issues. 

I found no problems using the phone in sunny conditions outdoors and was just as good indoors too.

I use email apps heavily and The Note 3 pushed all my e mails and notifications to me from my BtMail server adequately , which is something that is a ‘want and need’ from any communication device I use.

The Apps available from GooglePlay were the usual affair of useful, eye candy and dross.

The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 coped very well with games I tried out. As usual I played Fifa 14, and also Batman, which pushes most devices to see if it offers a good gaming experience.

The ringtone alerts and Notification Sounds were loud and clear. 

The sPen is very easy to use and I liked the way that the phone responded when you retracted the s pen from the phone, which also makes the device a lot easier to use too.

My only concern would be is the cost to replace the s pen and nibs.

Battery Usage.

I received just under a days usage with a medium to heavy usage pattern. 

Camera.

The camera has a 13MP camera which is enough for me when i need to capture that ‘special moment’ picture. The front facing camera is 2MP. Both are good enough for what I as a casual picture taker would ever need. 

Music.

the phone played my music with no issue and was very easy to set up. Their are lots of bells and whistles for one to play around with within the music settings if you deem its warranted.

Accessories.

I found the usual affair of weird and wonderful expensive and low cost sleeves and cases for the Samsung Galaxy Note 3 on well known selling sites, and on the high-street.

Here is a couple of cases that caught my eye. 

note 3 case USE.JPGnoe 3 case 2_010_Origin_white.png

The Good for me about this phone.

Workmanship to a high standard.

Light to handle and comfortable to hold.

Large Display.

Very Good Performance overall.

Responsive Screen.

Micro SD Card Slot expands memory up to 64GB.

sPen makes a very nice addition.

4G.

The Not so good for me about this phone.

I didn't particularly like the fake leather stitched style rear cover.

Possible costs to replace sPen and Nibs.

My Rating out of 10.

7/10.

Conclusion.

A very nice phone indeed. {Can I keep it @Toby ? wink }

I hope you enjoyed my review as much as I enjoyed reviewing this Device.

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144180 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Totally agree with the iPhone sentiments wink
Launch day is officially tomorrow for Note 4 but someone we know picked their's up today from an Experience Store.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 31 of 32

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

As an IT engineer I have set up multiple iPhone's for the NHS, and I regard them as horrible little devices! If I want a bent phone I'll buy it engineered that way :-))

Long live Android!

Annoyed Picard.jpg

Message 32 of 32