cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Safari mobile lottery

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just had my latest bill and been charged £45 for Safari mobile lottery. Tried to find out how I've been charged for this unwanted item that I've never subscribed to but O2 say it's nothing to do with them. This is a complete scam that O2 go along with. Click on the Safari app and it comes up O2 so it must have something to do with them. Spoke to "customer services" and had to speak to a manager. I said I couldn't get through to Safari, which I couldn't, half hour on the phone before being cut off. Magically the manager got through to Safari and put me on to their customer service advisor. She said I had not not subscribed and this meant I had subscribed, a complete scam. I will have to pay the £45 I suppose but I've said if this is not unsubscribe as she said would happen I shall have to close my account and go elseware. I can not believe that a company the size of 02 collude in this scam and make it impossible to get any satisfaction but insist I'm fleeced and give in to their threats. Oh well you live and learn but please be aware of this situation. On a lighter note when I asked if I'd won anything in the lottery I was told I had not been lucky, the prize was a mobile phone.

Message 1 of 45
44 REPLIES 44

Anonymous
Not applicable

I heard from Safari (Socman) this morning who are claiming I entered a competition online and answered 3 questions to win an iPhone 6. I never, ever entered any competition. They also said they sent a confirmation text message. I have no such message and never received any such message. I do wonder now if O2 have any affiliation with this company? How can it be allowed to continue, despite so many complaints? I have raised it to the regulator and advise anyone to use Twitter to highlight to others that this is happening, as no one should fall foul of this behaviour. 

Message 31 of 45

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143416 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
I do wonder now if O2 have any affiliation with this company?
How can it be allowed to continue, despite so many complaints? 

None whatsoever.

Only the regulator can shut them down if they break the law or ignore the regulations and guidelines.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 32 of 45

Anonymous
Not applicable

Also, according to companies house it seems Socman has just one director and that is the person who responded to me today! It was also issued with notice to strike them off the companies house register, which was later cancelled. I wonder why that was!!!!!

Message 33 of 45

Anonymous
Not applicable

They are breaking the law if they are allowed to charge your account without any authorisation. I will not rest until I ensure that this is dealt with properly by a regulator. 

Message 34 of 45

MI5
  • 143416 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Nor should you rest - It's what the regulator is there for.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 35 of 45

jonsie
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Socman Limited is registered to a chartered accountants and its 'Suite' address listed is actually a mail office shop! This just gets worse and worse!

I have found that another customer has raised this to the Action Fraud squad.

Please contact Action Fraud on 03001232040

Please refer to existing reference number:
NFRC150100897622

Though she did raise this in 2015, so not sure what the outcome is, but there is a case reference to refer to.

Also, maybe worth raising a claim to the below should you fall victim to this fraud. It costs £50 to register, but worth it to stop this for once and for all. 

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/web/mcol/welcome

Message 37 of 45

Anonymous
Not applicable

Lowest of the low!! MAKE SURE YOU CALL TO UNSUBSCRIBE (020­ 7798­ 2800) and dont forget to ask O2 to block this type of thing on your account (it's called O2 "charge to mobile" and you can ask for it to be switched off). I keep this account for my sister-in-law who has downs syndrome, of course she is going to answer these questions!! What makes o2 think this is a good idea?? I have referred mine to o2 complaints and will cancel the contract if I do not get a refund. As the contract provider THEY must take responsibility for allowing this to happen. The questions are a trap for the unsuspecting (How many wheels does a tricycle have, how many legs does a horse have). FFS! Come on o2.

Message 38 of 45

Anonymous
Not applicable

Many people probably do want this service but it should be an Opt-in rather than the default setting. I didn't ask for this, I dont want it to be easy. I like to know when I am paying for something.

Message 39 of 45

MI5
  • 143416 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It sure would be a better option to have all premium rate numbers blocked by default, but i'm not sure it's all just as simple as that?

Currently using:
Message 40 of 45