cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Safari mobile lottery

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just had my latest bill and been charged £45 for Safari mobile lottery. Tried to find out how I've been charged for this unwanted item that I've never subscribed to but O2 say it's nothing to do with them. This is a complete scam that O2 go along with. Click on the Safari app and it comes up O2 so it must have something to do with them. Spoke to "customer services" and had to speak to a manager. I said I couldn't get through to Safari, which I couldn't, half hour on the phone before being cut off. Magically the manager got through to Safari and put me on to their customer service advisor. She said I had not not subscribed and this meant I had subscribed, a complete scam. I will have to pay the £45 I suppose but I've said if this is not unsubscribe as she said would happen I shall have to close my account and go elseware. I can not believe that a company the size of 02 collude in this scam and make it impossible to get any satisfaction but insist I'm fleeced and give in to their threats. Oh well you live and learn but please be aware of this situation. On a lighter note when I asked if I'd won anything in the lottery I was told I had not been lucky, the prize was a mobile phone.

Message 1 of 45
44 REPLIES 44

Anonymous
Not applicable
Jonsie- I think 02 know fine well that their customers do not willingly sign up to be scammed by Safari Mobile Lottery aka Switchfire! The number I was given "02077982800" belongs to switchfire and they have been scamming people for years "a quick google of that number will confirm" so why on earth would 02 agree to give these scammers our money after taking thousands of complaints? Strange to say the least. Just out of curiosity, what date did they begin taking money from your accounts?
Message 11 of 45

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93236 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions

What I'm saying is that it is the responsibility of ourselves as customers to be wary about clicking on any links and then to deal with the problem ourselves. It's the regulators that deal with complaints and yes, I agree these scams have been going on for years. But O2 cannot possibly stand the loss by refunding everyone who inadvertently clicks on a link or enters a competition. Don't forget these cowboys are operating within current legislation and unless the regulators feel they are overstepping the boundary we are subject to following official routes of complaint.

We know they are scammers but they are being allowed to get away with it.

Message 12 of 45

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions
Would you blame your ISP if you clicked on a spam/scam link showing on your laptop/PC ?
"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 13 of 45

Cleoriff
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

Also the fact remains that MANY people want this sort of service. They are happy to enter competitions, visit gambling sites and even watch ******. Their choice. Not for everyone but the advice is always don't click on links from FB or any other site. Nothing is free nowadays.

I see the forum filter bleeped out a short word meaning looking at sites with 'sexual content'

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 14 of 45

Anonymous
Not applicable
I get what your saying Jonsie but it's the fact that 02 are willing to charge people for those scamming ****s even though I never signed for nothing and never gave permission for them to add charges. I know 02 can't take the loss for everyone that's scammed by Switchfire Ltd but what they can do and should have done years ago is impose a block to protect their customers!

Beenherebefore- No, why do you? If my ISP tried charging me for something I didn't want nor need you can bet I wouldn't be paying for it though!
Message 15 of 45

Anonymous
Not applicable
Cleoriff- I'm not talking about other sites as I know people like to gamble and watch ****. I'm talking about one site and that's Switchfire Ltd! They don't give people the option to buy, they try force it upon you. If you believe Switchfire/Safari Mobile Lottery gives people the option to subscribe feel free to post the link that gives people the option! As there is none..
Message 16 of 45

MI5
  • 144359 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
Everyone would be a lot more comfortable if a block was put on by default (such as the 18+ one) which could then be lifted upon request.
Surely this is the best way to protect evryone from unwanted charges?
Maybe it requires Ofcom to make a ruling before something will change?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 17 of 45

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous,

Sorry to hear about this and welcome to the community. While its mostly not possible for O2 and other operators to control this kind of thing, I will report this experience to the team. How did the competition appear on your device exactly?

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 18 of 45

Cleoriff
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Cleoriff- I'm not talking about other sites as I know people like to gamble and watch ****. I'm talking about one site and that's Switchfire Ltd! They don't give people the option to buy, they try force it upon you. If you believe Switchfire/Safari Mobile Lottery gives people the option to subscribe feel free to post the link that gives people the option! As there is none..

Yes I realise you were being specific about Switchfire @Anonymous BUT the conversation had wandered into clicking links for other sites so I added my post for general information. slight_smile

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 19 of 45

jonsie
  • 93236 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
I get what your saying Jonsie but it's the fact that 02 are willing to charge people for those scamming ****s even though I never signed for nothing and never gave permission for them to add charges. I know 02 can't take the loss for everyone that's scammed by Switchfire Ltd but what they can do and should have done years ago is impose a block to protect their customers!

Beenherebefore- No, why do you? If my ISP tried charging me for something I didn't want nor need you can bet I wouldn't be paying for it though!

Don't forget that O2 are charged for this service and they merely pass the charge on to us as customers.

Message 20 of 45