cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SPAM texts

Anonymous
Not applicable

SPAM texts. No doubt everyone is getting them? Smiley Mad

But what happens when they are reported? I try and forward every SPAM text I get to O2 on 7726 as apparently we should. I then get a text back from 7726 saying “Thank you, we will forward this to our SPAM Manager etc, Please supply the number/Name it came from” etc etc. But what happens then? Nothing… Smiley Frustrated

I tried contacting O2 customer services, and spoke to a very nice lady in South Africa! She says that O2 doesn’t have a SPAM manager and all this is dealt with by a Third Party Company. But who? I checked what other operators ask their customers to do and guess what. They send them to the same number. So who is dealing with this problem, or does it just go into a waste bin? wink

The only advice she could give me was to block the number it came from! But every SPAM text comes from a different number, so that's a waste of time. Then she advised me to change my SIM card.  Yeah right... Smiley Mad

Message 1 of 7
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93157 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

Yes agreed it's a pain but stopping these companies, many operating from overseas, is nigh impossible. There have been reports in the press about sucessful prosecutions accompanied by heavy fines but it seems little deterrent.

Try reporting them here : https://www.snapsurveys.com/swh/surveylogin.asp?k=138312369469

One of our community members put his own guide on here:

How to deal with SPAM by adamtemp64Here

Message 3 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

Spam I agree is a nightmare.

I've changed my number once with o2 as its free the first time to rid myself of it. Although that's no guarantee i ll get it again. 😞

Perhaps @Toby our site co ordinator can find out who deals with this at o2's end.
Message 2 of 7

jonsie
  • 93157 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

Yes agreed it's a pain but stopping these companies, many operating from overseas, is nigh impossible. There have been reports in the press about sucessful prosecutions accompanied by heavy fines but it seems little deterrent.

Try reporting them here : https://www.snapsurveys.com/swh/surveylogin.asp?k=138312369469

One of our community members put his own guide on here:

How to deal with SPAM by adamtemp64Here

Message 3 of 7

MI5
  • 144083 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
The regulator is http://www.phonepayplus.org.uk/
They take action against anyone who breaks the law or any applicable legislation. They have been quite successful in bringing prosecutions against the worst offenders.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

On some handsets there is a facility to block inbound texts and / or calls. Effectively you would have to block the number they came in from.

I know this is available on many Android handsets. What device do you use?
Message 5 of 7

jonsie
  • 93157 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions
Message 6 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Piperdod123, Using a Nokia 800. I know I can block incoming texts, but every SPAM text I receive comes from a different number, so this would be a waste of time blocking them after I receive a SPAM text from them...

Message 7 of 7