Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM swap - pseudoscience?

a_hcir
Level 5: Ponderer
  • 133 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Just a quick question for some of the more technically knowledgeable people on here... I can't help but notice that 'sim swaps' are recommended on these forums for all manner of ailments, but from my experience most of these suggestions seem to be overkill. I don't think that after 96 years of using gsm sims (exaggeration), not even when I worked in a job maintaining a fleet of mobile gsm modems in the early noughties, that I've ever experienced a sim fault, not even anecdotally from friends & colleagues.

Are these SIM swap suggestions legit? Do dodgy sims really cause signal problems rather than being hard failures?
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

aldaweb
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

They are after all just a chip with a few contacts. Any chip can develop  a fault  especially with the heating - cooling cycles from battery charging or heavy usage.

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 11 of 18

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122369 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Toby wrote:
This is an interesting discussion. Out of everyone involved in this thread, have you noticed a clear decline in SIM quality over the years?

I personally haven't noticed a decline @Toby

However as most will know I don't give my phone the amount of usage many do.....

When I am at home with my laptop or netbook available I always tend to use those....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've had no issues. slight_smile

I only recently sim swapped to attain 4G

The only other reasons were moving sim sizes.

I've not had a SIM card fail on me yet..... Fingers crossed.
Message 13 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I've had no issues. slight_smile

I only recently sim swapped to attain 4G

The only other reasons were moving sim sizes.

I've not had a SIM card fail on me yet..... Fingers crossed.

Snap!

Message 14 of 18

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Never had a sim fail on me yet but customer service always recommend replacing as a first step in any fault diagnosis. More often than not the problem is something entirely unconnected such as the latest 'mast congestion'.
Message 15 of 18

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I must add I've had more Orange/EE sims fail on me than O2 ones and the last O2 one that failed was as a result of me chopping up a mini sim to try and make it a micro sim (I have since taught myself how to do it properly) slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 16 of 18

aldaweb
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
I must add I've had more Orange/EE sims fail on me than O2 ones and the last O2 one that failed was as a result of me chopping up a mini sim to try and make it a micro sim (I have since taught myself how to do it properly) slight_smile

Ah! I have a SIM punch for that Smiley LOL

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 17 of 18

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Me too.... now wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 18 of 18