cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming on the Thuraya satellite network - call charges?

GuyC
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi,

Can anyone tell me where I can now find a list of call charges when roaming on the Thuraya satellite network using a O2 (business) SIM in the satellite phone?

The charges used to listed on the O2 business website, Thuraya was simply listed as another country in the drop down tab, but since the website was updated, all mention of Thuraya has vanished..

I have called customer services but they say it doesn't exist!

Thanks

Guy

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
I can only find Thuraya costs https://www.thurayarecharge.com/Cost-of-calls-from-my-Thuraya-satellite-phone/
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 13

Jeevster
Level 4: Observant
  • 175 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Treat it as roaming as rest of the world....  The rest of the world roaming charges are applied to satellite and ship to shore services 

Message 3 of 13

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

@Jeevster wrote:

Treat it as roaming as rest of the world....  The rest of the world roaming charges are applied to satellite and ship to shore services 

And thus expensive. 

Message 4 of 13

GuyC
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for your comments

Expensive is OK, I just want to know for sure how much I'm going to be charged before I start using it regularly.

O2 has an active roaming agreement with Thuraya - this is certain as I made test calls today both outgoing and incoming using my O2 sim card in the Thuraya phone (and it works perfectly).

Quite why O2 are keeping this a secret from customers is a mystery to me...

Message 5 of 13

GuyC
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Think I have finally found the answer..

http://travelabroad.o2-uktech.com/coverage.php

And select Thuraya from the drop down box.

O2 staff don't seem to know that this exists, and it doesn't come up if you search Thuraya on the O2 website for some reason?

Message 6 of 13

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

Seem reasonable costs but it's crazy that customer service seem oblivious to the website. It doesn't look an official page in honesty so I hope tariffs are current.

Message 7 of 13

Cleoriff
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

Well done for your perseverance @GuyC. As you say it's a damn good job you found the answer as O2 hadn't any idea..:smileywink:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 13

GuyC
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

As jonsie says, seems to be a very old and out of date part of the O2 website...

What I find most strange is how they can have a current and active roaming agreement, yet staff (including someone who said they had worked for 10 years in the networks department) know absolutely nothing about it and can't access any information about it either!

Message 9 of 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

hey guys,

The satellite network service does exist. You can find more information here.

As soon as I find more information I will share it here

M

Message 10 of 13