Did you mean: 

Rewards: Nomination idea

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi guys,

We recently held an open discussion on rewards and you all contributed beautifully, giving us lots to work on behind the scenes (charity, points, how we present the rewards, etc), but one thing I wanted gauge thoughts on the idea of nominations. Its an idea I've been thinking about since @Anonymous 's post here.

It consists of a nomination system, where all of you can nominate a post, guide, review, joke or whatever else you can think of to us via an open thread or PM:

- Myself or a member of the community team posts a thread asking for nominations before the usual rewards are calculated at the end of each month.

- You then either make a post on the thread, or send a PM to me with your suggestion. We'd never want to force a\nyone to do this publicly slight_smile

- We then collate the nominations and pick the most popular. They would then receive a reward of a certain amount (undecided)

The idea of this is for us to be able to reward posts of a great quality, rather than just helpful activity in general. Also, we have many members who post less regularly, but still have fantastic insights and points to make when they do make a post. We want to celebrate that.

What are all of your thoughts on this? Is it s a nice thing to do? Does it promote favouritism? How would you do it differently (if at all)?

I'm eager to hear your thoughts. I'm personally very invested in this, but you're the ones who's opinions count a whole lot more wink

I hope that all makes sense!

that-doesn-amp-039-t-make-sense_o_1520771.jpg

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
@That's fair enough @Anonymous. Differing opinions are healthy. We don't all agree, it is how we disagree that matters.

Absolutely agee @Anonymous - so here's the deal.  You can be right be 50% of the time and I will be wrong the other 50%  That should work out OK.  LOL

Message 11 of 36

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

+50 + -50 % = 0% therefore you would be right even when he was wrong or right. Possibly such an axiom could blow a hole in society itself. Shocked

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 12 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

tongueNo no no @Gerry.

I am right 100% of the time and
You are wrong 100% of the time.

Now that analogy works

Message 13 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@tongueNo no no @Anonymous.

I am right 100% of the time and
You are wrong 100% of the time.

Now that analogy works

Hmmm?  Your 100% + my 100%=200%  -   That can't be right now, even I know that!!!  But I'll bow to your superior intellect any every day of the week.  Hero    

Now, that's enough nonsense for one thread - back on topic please!!! Smiley Very Happy

Message 14 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes sir
Message 15 of 36

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

@Beenherebefore wrote:

"- You then either make a post on the thread, or send a PM to me with your suggestion. We'd never want to force a\nyone to do this publicly :smileyhappy:"

What I find distinctly odd is that there seems to be an aversion to do things in the open on this Community.

PMs are used extensively for secret communications.

Have faith in your convictions and don't be afraid to publicise them.....there will always be someone who disagrees with you......but always someone like-minded who will agree with you.

Hi @Beenherebefore. Giving an option of PMs or posts on a thread is simply giving everyone the choice that suits them most. PMs are used for lots of reasons. Secrecy is not one of them. Privacy for an individual member is. I prefer to do as many community-centric things publicly as possible, such as creating threads like this slight_smile 

@Cleoriff , this would be in addition to what we have. We are however also looking into what we have and amending it slight_smile

Some very interesting points here guys. Abuse is an issue that I had in my mind also.Keep posting your views if you have not already and I'll come back to the thread soon!

Get involved:

Message 16 of 36

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122804 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Thanks @Toby Still wondering whether a shortlist of posts/topics would be drawn up by the community team?

I honestly couldn't see how it would work otherwise. For instance, (without a shortlist) I have visions of everyone on here casting their vote for a different post or topic. It then would become unmanageable..i.e who would decide out of the 100's that may be submitted.....?? Crazy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 17 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Toby wrote:

Hi @Beenherebefore. Giving an option of PMs or posts on a thread is simply giving everyone the choice that suits them most. PMs are used for lots of reasons. Secrecy is not one of them. Privacy for an individual member is. I prefer to do as many community-centric things publicly as possible, such as creating threads like this slight_smile 

@Cleoriff

Abuse is an issue that I had in my mind also.

Two interesting points here @Toby I will deal with the "abuse" issue first.  When @Anonymous mentioned the possibility of abuse I, perhaps wrongly, assumed he meant abuse by the team responsible for deciding on the awards, and my response was based on that assumption.   Now you raise the matter of abuse and I have to assume that you are not in the least suggesting any abuse at your end, so that leads me to believe you are concerned at the possibility of abuse by the Community Members.  What sort of abuse do you think could arise?  Some sort of cartel organised presumably via PMs to secure votes for particular entries?

The second issue is your interesting remark " Giving an option of PMs or posts on a thread is simply giving everyone the choice that suits them most. PMs are used for lots of reasons. Secrecy is not one of them. Privacy for an individual member is."     Is that a general statement of Community policy on PMs or one relating only to the choice of a public vote/PM vote in the matter of rewards?  I know that is "off topic" but maybe you could start a separate topic so that all members can have an opportunity to discuss.

Message 18 of 36

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@Toby wrote:

@Cleoriff

Abuse is an issue that I had in my mind also.

Two interesting points here @Toby I will deal with the "abuse" issue first.  When @Anonymous mentioned the possibility of abuse I, perhaps wrongly, assumed he meant abuse by the team responsible for deciding on the awards, and my response was based on that assumption.   Now you raise the matter of abuse and I have to assume that you are not in the least suggesting any abuse at your end, so that leads me to believe you are concerned at the possibility of abuse by the Community Members.  What sort of abuse do you think could arise?  Some sort of cartel organised presumably via PMs to secure votes for particular entries?

Hi @Anonymous ,

I was talking about abuse of the process in general, but its easily avoided. Our team would keep a log of previously rewarded members, as well as taking time to be as fair as possible and judging great content objectively from you guys. Its a very minor concern for me and I was not referring to members abusing it as I dont see how this would happen. I dont think cartels are a huge issue for the O2 Community personally

Get involved:

Message 19 of 36

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions

Hi @Toby 

Just wondering if you will be accepting nominations for "most removed posts"? 

If so, it's spelt v-i-r-i-d-i-s

Message 20 of 36