cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replying with Quote

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am sure it must have been raised somewhere in the Forum before  - but I'd like to raise it again.  Would there be any possibility that we could have the facility for using a "partial quote" rather than having lengthy repetitions of previous posts?

I find that when I try to edit a quote my reply it inevitably ends up being displayed in italics and thus it is difficult for the readers to know where X said Y said ends and where my actual comment begins.  

I know that I can look at and edit the HTML to ensure that the <blockquote> and </blockquote> tabs are in the correct place but as the editing space available is only two lines deep that can be a problem for silly old duffers like moi!

Has anyone else the same problem or am I being unreasonable? 

Message 1 of 14
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I have no problems at all editing to partial quote myself. There is an almost invisible line under which to comment. Maybe some bod at Lithium can make it a little bolder...?

Message 9 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable
I had a similar issue where I accidentally cut too much out of a quote leaving the end off which did cause some confusion.

I now prefer just to add the full quotes so this its not happen again.

I don't find your enquiry unreasonable.
Message 2 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks @Anonymous

I agree it is easier just to use the full quote sometimes but as a discussion develops the quotes become very lengthy & unwieldy.

Message 3 of 14

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi  @Anonymous ,

When you try to add your own text and its in Italics, can you not highlight it and revert it back? I'm just curious, as I don't have these issues, so any details are much appreciated slight_smile

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 4 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122382 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Toby wrote:

Hi  @Anonymous ,

When you try to add your own text and its in Italics, can you not highlight it and revert it back? I'm just curious, as I don't have these issues, so any details are much appreciated slight_smile

@Toby  If your reply goes into italics you don't know until you post.

Personally I capture the whole quote, do my reply then before I post it, I go to the quoted section and delete the info I don't want to show...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 14

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Cleoriff ....also if a reply goes into italics then the "Italics" icon (to the right of the "Bold" icon) is highlighted for that element of script......it's easy to check that before hitting "Post"

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 6 of 14

Cleoriff
  • 122382 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Beenherebefore wrote:

@Cleoriff ....also if a reply goes into italics then the "Italics" icon (to the right of the "Bold" icon) is highlighted for that element of script......it's easy to check that before hitting "Post"

Another lesson learnt. Thanks for that @Beenherebefore  wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Beenherebefore wrote:

That certainly is not the case in the browser I am using.

Message 8 of 14

jonsie
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I have no problems at all editing to partial quote myself. There is an almost invisible line under which to comment. Maybe some bod at Lithium can make it a little bolder...?

Message 9 of 14

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

@Cleoriff I use the exact-same process.

@jonsie A very good point and anything to make it clearer is a good thing. I shall talk to the team.

@Anonymous If you use Cleoriff's process will that suffice for now?

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 10 of 14