cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

REPAIRING YOUR PHONE AT O2- WARNING- DO NOT GET SCAMMED BY 02

Anonymous
Not applicable

My Sony Xperia Z3 was recently dropped and the phone screen unfortunately cracked. I have been on my current contract for over a year, so I can upgrade early by paying £150 on 02 Refresh.  I took it to my local 02 store and was initially quoted at least £180 for a repair....so as you can imagine, I wanted a breakdown of exactly what was being 'repaired'. So I went back into the store and asked for an itemized breakdown of the charges, for example, how much was the new screen and digitizer going to cost, how much was labor etc. This was denied to me, on the grounds that '02 does not give out such information'. So I was told that I couldn't find out what I was paying for, I just had to accept the bill. 02 could have been charging me for anything. So I left the store with a sense of disbelief. I couldn't believe that 02 was trying to scam a customer into paying at least £180 for what could only be a replacement screen and digitizer, as they were the only things wrong with the phone. I took my phone to a local mobile phone workshop that had good review online. The owner explained to me that he buys all his stock from the same place that 02 will buy it from, but I was only quoted £80 for a new screen and digitizer and labor from him. Conclusion: 02 IS RIPPING CUSTOMERS OFF. DO NOT FALL FOR THEIR SCAMS. TAKE YOUR PHONE TO A MOBILE PHONE WORKSHOP AND YOU WILL PAY A FRACTION OF THE PRICE.  

I took my phone to: The Mobile Phone Workshop, Hunts Cross Retail Park, Liverpool.  

http://www.phoneworkshop.co.uk/ 

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Just for fairness o2 do not do the repairs but this company is doing them http://www.anovo.com

And if you search the community you will find loads of unhappy customers .

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 16

PhoneDoc
Level 14: Rising star 
  • 278 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

Hi there @Anonymous, sorry to hear about your experience.

The advisors in the store would only have access to very basic information about the repair. This would include the main problem and the repair cost. Unfortunately the store wouldn't be in a position where they could access, let alone provide, a full breakdown of the repair price. That being said, you can always complain to customer services on 202 if you feel that more could have been done.

Other than O2, you can also ask the manufacturer for a repair quote, if you want more assurance about the prices involved. 

Just for your own reference, when an attempt to repair electrical goods is carried out by someone other than engineers authorised to do so by the manufacturer, this voids the warranty. The increase in price associated with an authorised repair is in part due to the training and accreditation required for the engineers. It insures that if any further issues do occur with the phone, your warranty remains intact. It also insures that only genuine parts are used as part of the repair process.

Hope this helps

Message 3 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable
Always go to the manufacturer. Don't deal with anovo
Message 4 of 16

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

If your phone is under warranty it's always best to deal directly with the manufacturers. Otherwise get estimates from different repairers. Personally I wouldn't send a baby's rattle to Anovo.

Message 5 of 16

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Personally I wouldn't send a baby's rattle to Anovo.

Of course not.....they'd diagnose water damage.

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 6 of 16

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

I have a fair bit of knowledge about contracted out repair companies for mobiles. My son worked at Unipart who, at that time, dealt with repairs for Vodafone customers...He was paid per unit of mobile he repaired. He told me the system was farcical  and seemed to be done with very little regard for the actual issue relating to the phone.....Water ingress was one of their favourite expressions (which sounds familiar) He left after 7 months as he said it was sickening having to undertake such shoddy work. Half the time all they did was flash the phone....and the costs to repair were astronomical (for the customer)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 16

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23071 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

You only have to search the forum to find a litany of complaints about repairs made by Anovo, O2's repair company of choice, to know that they are incompetent to repair any brand of phone, and if given a choice, should never be used. Always send it to the manufacturer, even if the warranty has lapsed.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 8 of 16

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just for your own reference, when an attempt to repair electrical goods is carried out by someone other than engineers authorised to do so by the manufacturer, this voids the warranty. The increase in price associated with an authorised repair is in part due to the training and accreditation required for the engineers. It insures that if any further issues do occur with the phone, your warranty remains intact. It also insures that only genuine parts are used as part of the repair process.

I think this is what @Beenherebefore is referring to 

Message 9 of 16

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I took my phone to: The Mobile Phone Workshop, Hunts Cross Retail Park, Liverpool.   

Just out of interest, are they approved by Sony, is your warranty still intact and did they do a pressure test to ensure and guarantee your water ingress ip68 rating?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 16