cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Private Messages

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is it mandatory in the O2 Community to have the PM function turned on?   The "Guidelines" are silent on the matter.

Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff wrote:

:

I thought we lived in a democracy?

We have a choice surely?. If you don't like the content of a PM  then forward it to management and hope they take appropriate action.....and utilise the ignore 'button'

To take away the PM function smacks of a dictatorship community to me....

Even a brief reading of the O2 Community Guideines will show that in certain important points we (ie the O2 Customers who are members of the so-called O2 Community) do not in fact have any real choice - other than the ultimate one of logging off and never logging back in.   (And yeah, I know a few stalwarts wish that I would do exactly that!)

But the respondent has a good point here.  Why was this topic allowed to develop into something it had not been intended to cover in the first place?  My view (though strictly speaking I am not allowed to voice it here) is that that is a matter of Editorial/Moderatorial policy and practice. The powers-that-be may or may not wish to comment.

Personally I am glad that the topic was not terminated at the point where my original question was answered as it appears there may be some difference of opinion within the Community Team.  Not often we see that!  I am not criticising.  I am not saying one was wrong and one was right.  Indeed I am not sure whether the Community Manager or the Community Co-Ordinator wears the pants in the Community household. It will be interesting I will be interested to see the eventual outcome of the matter if it is resolved before the new owners' broom sweeps through the organisation.   

Message 31 of 36

Marjo
  • 7881 Posts
  • 468 Topics
  • 55 Solutions

@Anonymous I read back the thread again and wanted to clarify; one of your comments on the 26th was about having the PM information via email instead. This is not possible at the moment by itself is what Toby meant, as it would need a separate emailing system - however I think you also meant the contents of the PM being visible in the PM notification email. That's indeed something we can look into and the community team has started also discussing it internally now. slight_smile Thanks for raising that.

The PM function is definitely part of the community as a whole and will not be shut down or limited from what it is now - if any member feels like not using it, that is totally fine and up to them to decide, like Toby mentioned earlier.

The topic has indeed derailed. I nudged it a bit with my comment yesterday, didn't meant to take over! grin Happy to have a discussion on the PM function and the email notification in general in a separate thread though, if you guys feel that there's more you'd like to talk about!

Message 32 of 36

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

I am pleased to hear the PM system will remain @Marjo 

In a way it was good it got derailed a little. It gave a platform for some to air strong opinions (including myself) wink

I appreciate your 'final' comments....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 33 of 36

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Yayyyy night and day rule!
Message 34 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Marjo Very many thanks for clarifying the position as regards the issue I originally raised. 

You may have gathered that I am not a fan of the Private Message feature. I do not think it serves any useful function vis-a-vis the objectives of the O2 Community but others think differently and I am OK with that.  I certainly don't think it warrants further discussion.

Message 35 of 36

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

I use the pm system for many things but mostly because I have made many good friends on the community. Its a vital part of any community.

Some things should not be displayed within a notification.

From community admin and mods yes, from friends no....

Message 36 of 36