cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor coverage in Plymouth

Anonymous
Not applicable

For the past month or more, I've been getting very poor data coverage in Plymouth, mainly around the City Centre. For example, on the top floor of the big shopping centre there called Drake Circus, the signal is indicating HSPDA (I''m not on a 4G contract), with a few bars, but the download speed is very poor. I understand from friends also with O2 that there might be a problem with a mast down, or a mast overloaded, or something like that. It's not just in Drake Circus - I have similar problems around the City Centre.

This, plus the fact that O2 don't offer an 'unlimited' data package any more, is leading me to think of switching network to someone else like Three. 

Is there any hope that the data rates will improve? I live in Sheffield, but am frequently in Plymouth, and the data download in Sheffield is many times faster than in Plymouth.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Until O2 have finished their upgrades in your are, and who knows when that will be, coverage is unlikely to improve.

I think bigger data allowances will come in as 4G will hopefully cope better with demand and we've already seen 20gb data packages on some new releases. Again, it will probably come at a cost. I am currently in mid change to EE as it works better for me in my area and far better allowances for the same money.

Message 2 of 4

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dont worry, you may only have to wait until the end of 2017 for O2 to finish upgrading their infrastructure.

As a fellow Devonian, doesnt Plymouth now have EE 4G? I know they don't offer unlimited but could be an option.

Message 3 of 4

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Any improvements in your condition will have to come from the fibre backhaul that carries the data between mast and servers.......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 4 of 4