cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pocket projectors and optional laptops

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi guys,

The Mobile World Congress is not only about mobile phones. The conference showcases a whole lot more. Read here for yesterteday’s daily round-up of innovative technology.

What do you guys think about these new devices? 

If you could have one of these devices, what would you use it for?

Would these devices be on your wishlist?

We would love to hear your opinion guys!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Good evening @Anonymous ma'am.  

I am one of the millions of superannuated pen-pushers who have yet to find a purpose in our somewhat less than utopian wonderland of high tech wizardry.  The principal reason why I need a PC and a mobile phone is so that I can connect to the interweb on one device to find a solution to the problems that prevent me (and other members of the family, using the other.   Sometimes I have to look for tutorials to help me use other software such as Photoshop (even though I only have the Elements version), PowerDirector, and the MS Office suite (don't have much use for Powerpoint now that I am retired and even fewer people than formerly are interested in anything I have to say).  I love Excel.

I am not into "computer games" - my brain does not cope well with noisey, flashing, fast moving images; and I don't want umpteen terabytes of  electronic blubber, all those useless apps (some call them crapps but not sure I know what that means) that have no practical application for me at all; so my needs are modest - something that is easy to start up, set up and maintain; that does not need frequent excursions into arcane settings; that does not take half the morning to start up and half the evening to shut down.  I don't care if it is black, blue, white, striped or spotted. I don't care if it is 0.75 of a mm thinner  than another make; I do want it to have a good long life, quick charge battery and a SD card slot that can actually be accessed.  And supremely I want somethat will load the "next page" or screen as quickly as turning the page in a book.  I don't have time to waste.

And of course I want something that will not require a visit to a mortgage broker to obtain the funding.

If you See anything like that maybe you be kind enough to post the info!     Off later to watch the new DCI Banks series.

Message 2 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Blimy, I'm actually going to agree with Gerry on something, and I haven't even had any of the whisky/whiskey/tablets/big feet that were floating around our community yesterday!

Put simply, I think what he is saying is that we are facing an overload of silly, pointless, rediculous technology at the expense of decent usable products.

Although I'm a technology enthusiast, I also have no interest in crapps, (knowing that I could write a rogue one myself is a good reason not to trust them).  I also want devices that are fast, responsive and free of bloat.  Add in a decent quality keyboard and screen too.  Infact, build quality in general is something I think @Anonymous forgot to mention.

I don't want or need games, (I bought the guts from the machines from my local arcade 15 years ago), and I don't need silly gimmicky features.

Tell me, was there one phone on display that would appeal to an IT industry worker over the age of 30?  The sort who grew up in the 80s playing with computers you could tinker with?  No.  It's all 50 megapixel, UHD displays, built in quadraphonic sound, (sorry, showing my age there "surround"), and cloud connectivity, (at the expense of connectivity options like SFTP or SSH that might actually be useful to me).

In short, real techies are people too, and we need to be catered for!

(And @Anonymous is a real person too, but he has @Cairdeas and her big toes to look after him, so he doesn't matter as much Smiley LOL)

Message 3 of 7

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Blimy, I'm actually going to agree with Gerry on something, and I haven't even had any of the whisky/whiskey/tablets/big feet that were floating around our community yesterday!

(And @Anonymous is a real person too, but he has @Cairdeas and her big toes to look after him, so he doesn't matter as much Smiley LOL)

Nah! You are so rong tefelone user.  Gerry is a Turing machine  5g Connected Humanoid!   Had you all fooled - except the blue pencil regiment who keep .... well, hmmmm, erm,, ahh keep trying to switch me o..............

Message 5 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

@viridis wrote:
http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2015-03/03/yezz-project-ara

http://m.v3.co.uk/v3-uk/news/2397754/mwc-silent-circle-unveils-blackphone-tablet-and-blackphone-2-sm...

Well the Yezz project is interesting, potentially, but only if it gains a big enough user base to ensure that new modules continue to be developed for it over the years.  Whether the choice of components makes it more open for techo aware users tonhack about with it or not, we'll have to wait and see.  But this is just at the concept stage at the moment, a long way from being a real product.

As for the black phone, afff, it's just another black box, (forgive the pun), that tells me that it's "secure".  With loads of great sounding claims to back it up.  But looking closer, I see no reason to believe that it is.  Even if somebody gave me one for nothing, I wouldn't connect to my servers from it.  I'm just taking somebody's word that it's better than the rest.

I want to see things like this at trade fairs:

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Main_Page

Yes, it looks boring to the average joe, and it's got all the style of flares and a puffer jacket, but that running my software of choice, I WOULD trust with my private keys.

Message 6 of 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Nah! You are so rong tefelone user.  Gerry is a Turing machine  5g Connected Humanoid!   Had you all fooled - except the blue pencil regiment who keep .... well, hmmmm, erm,, ahh keep trying to switch me o..............

Oh no!  They've switched off Gerry!  Surprised

Message 7 of 7