cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plagued by witheld numbers

Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a minor car accident about three years ago and lately have been plagued by calls from ambulance chasers.  I am TPS registered and the caller witholds their number. The names they give for teh companies are never traceable via the Internet (Latest one tonight was a supposed ACH)  I have tried telling them that I have no business with them and to remove me from their database but still the calls come.

I understand that it is illegal to make harrassing and witheld number calls like this and am quite prepared to take legal action against the company involved.

I understand that like the 999 services (UK) O2 have access to all witheld CLI numbers. How do I go about getting this information from O2 so that I can take private legal action?

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

Seeing as you're already registered with the TPS, have you considered using their complaint handling service?

The following guide from Ofcom gives more information about nusiance calls, and explains what your options are:

http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/phone/tackling-nuisance-calls-and-messages/

Message 2 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

The problem being that I don't have a number or good/verified company name to complain to TPS about.

I was toying with the idea of geeing the next caller along and go along with it to see if a company name arrives in the post but this would probably be seen as giving them the green light to contact me and destroy any claim I have against them for harrassment.

Message 3 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd still contact them, because the TPS are best placed to advise you. Have a read of this section from their website:

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/stillgetcalls.html

Message 4 of 21

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I think you can ask O2 to put a trace on your account under certain circumstances, but I don't know if these types of calls qualify or not?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 21

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Answering the call doesn't make you more likely to get more calls and you need to know the company name or number to make a complaint, O2 cannot trace these for you.

Any UK company must abide by the rules and comply with your wishes.

You can probably thank your insurance company for passing on your number.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 6 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think that you understand. O2 most certainly DOES have access to caller ID on their logs even if witheld the same as the emergency service have.

Message 7 of 21

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Yes, as I said above but they will only give you the info under certain circumstances. There are some apps that claim to do it to although I've never tried them.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 21

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

It's just another scam for making money as some phone providers charge for the privallege of you not receiving these type of calls. The best way to deal with it is, if you don't recognise the number don't answer it. If you have an Android handset with version 4 and above you can block these type of calls.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 9 of 21

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22935 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

Difficult to block withheld numbers. Hospitals and doctor's surgeries normally withhold their numbers. 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 10 of 21