cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2, where is your 4G in South West England & Wales?

Anonymous
Not applicable

To date, 3rd September 2014, O2 still have NO 4G coverage in Wales, and only in villages surrounding Chippenham, Wiltshire in the South West of England. They've launched 4G in Bournemouth, but that's not exactly the "South West" like O2 are calling it. Bournemouth is the South/South Coast of England.

So, after a year of O2 4G being available, where is it? Big cities like Bristol, and Cardiff - the CAPITAL of Wales, still have NO 4G from O2. How much longer do they expect people to wait? Three have had 4G in Cardiff & Bristol since around February 2014, and EE have had 4G in Bristol & Cardiff since their network launched almost 2 years ago.

I was originally told last year by an O2 advisor that "4G would launch by the end of the year" (so by 31st December 2013). Someone else told me "March 2014", then it was "July 2014", then "we'll have it by September". It's now 3rd September. Where is it?

The thing is, 4G can't be coming anytime soon. I've searched for local council planning applications for new 4G masts. The local mast is on a street corner and looks like a streetlight. I've seen the new designs on the planning application - which was made in May, and there has been NO work on the mast whatsoever. Vodafone & O2 seem to be launching 4G together, and on Vodafone's coverage map, it says there will be no 4G upgrades in Bristol for at least the next 3 months.

Are we talking 2015 now? Or maybe even 2017 when O2 claim they'll have 98% coverage?

Are you there O2? If you are, where will you be launching 4G next? Networks such as Three have published a list of cities/towns, even villages, where they will launch 4G in 2014. Why can't you? Why are you keeping your customers in the dark about this?

O2 managed to set up a temporary 4G mast in Long Ashton, Bristol for the Bristol International Balloon Fiesta. That was really quick to set up! (and remove!) So what's going on?

Message 1 of 105
104 REPLIES 104

Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow,

this one is rolling on, I see.

I live in Cardiff - a city with it's own seat of government and the BBC and guess what, still no 4G/LTE signal.

I have to go to Manchester or London to get a 4G signal!

You would think that Cardiff and Bristol would have O2 4G masts by now.

Had I known, I might not have bothered investing in a 4G handset (admittedly it's the very nice Xperia Z1 compact, but as I had an Xperia T, it would have lasted me longer on my old inclusive data plan!)

Other service providers already have 4G in south Wales and the West - how do we officially complain?

slightly related - the people of hay-on-wye (home of the international book festival) barely scrape a 'G' for data. All those international visitors roaming via Orange/EE as that's the only provider that gives them a service.

pull your fingers out and get on with co-sharing of masts - the early days are over - you all need to start cooperating to provide a full service for ALL UK customers.

(phew, rant over)

Message 31 of 105

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm seeing on Twitter that 4G will becoming to Cardiff Q4 2014 so before Christmas. It is also listed on the following website:

https://www.aerial-telephones.co.uk/aerial/o2s-continuing-4g-rollout/

O2 have been sending out texts to people who've registered interest over the past few days.

This is great news and long overdue!

Anyone have more specific details?

Message 32 of 105

Anonymous
Not applicable

yes.

I had the txt and the tweet too.

good news indeed.

Now all I need is for Sony to send my Z1 compact and Z2 tablet the 5.0 Lollipop upgrade and life will be sweet!

:robotwink:

Message 33 of 105

Anonymous
Not applicable

Does anyone know any further information on actual dates that 4G will be enabled in Cardiff?

I am with GiffGaff who run on the O2 network and am very keen to get on 4G. 

I would have to pay more to get 4G but do not want to spend the extra per month if I will not be getting anything extra.

Thanks in anticipation.

Message 34 of 105

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Unfortunately not, the rollout  schedule is guarded like the crown jewels....

Message 35 of 105

Anonymous
Not applicable
Just as I expected.....

Thanks jonsie
Message 36 of 105

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Before the end of the year if the rumours are to be believed, but I would wait until you know for sure until you change your goodybag - you won't lose out on anything then.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 37 of 105

Anonymous
Not applicable

IMG_1988[2].PNG

My phone picked up 4G in Cardiff this afternoon. I guess we're not far from an official launch then.

Message 38 of 105

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks MI5

Hey TomBrien

That is really interesting! Thanks.  Did you do any speedtest or any browsing when you had the signal?

Message 39 of 105

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was in a meeting so didn't have time to run a speedtest. Browsing speed seemed about right for 4G though (very hand-wavey). Haven't seen any since though.

Message 40 of 105