cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2, where is your 4G in South West England & Wales?

Anonymous
Not applicable

To date, 3rd September 2014, O2 still have NO 4G coverage in Wales, and only in villages surrounding Chippenham, Wiltshire in the South West of England. They've launched 4G in Bournemouth, but that's not exactly the "South West" like O2 are calling it. Bournemouth is the South/South Coast of England.

So, after a year of O2 4G being available, where is it? Big cities like Bristol, and Cardiff - the CAPITAL of Wales, still have NO 4G from O2. How much longer do they expect people to wait? Three have had 4G in Cardiff & Bristol since around February 2014, and EE have had 4G in Bristol & Cardiff since their network launched almost 2 years ago.

I was originally told last year by an O2 advisor that "4G would launch by the end of the year" (so by 31st December 2013). Someone else told me "March 2014", then it was "July 2014", then "we'll have it by September". It's now 3rd September. Where is it?

The thing is, 4G can't be coming anytime soon. I've searched for local council planning applications for new 4G masts. The local mast is on a street corner and looks like a streetlight. I've seen the new designs on the planning application - which was made in May, and there has been NO work on the mast whatsoever. Vodafone & O2 seem to be launching 4G together, and on Vodafone's coverage map, it says there will be no 4G upgrades in Bristol for at least the next 3 months.

Are we talking 2015 now? Or maybe even 2017 when O2 claim they'll have 98% coverage?

Are you there O2? If you are, where will you be launching 4G next? Networks such as Three have published a list of cities/towns, even villages, where they will launch 4G in 2014. Why can't you? Why are you keeping your customers in the dark about this?

O2 managed to set up a temporary 4G mast in Long Ashton, Bristol for the Bristol International Balloon Fiesta. That was really quick to set up! (and remove!) So what's going on?

Message 1 of 105
104 REPLIES 104

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
We all wish we knew the roll out plans from O2.......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 21 of 105

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 22 of 105

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

It seems the roll out is rolling on...lethargically!

And that about sums it up @jonsie  Confused

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 23 of 105

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm in Cornwall. (O2. Look it up on a map) one bar of 2g! I'm one of the lucky ones!

PS. I live 2 mins drive from st austell. Cornwall's (look it up o2) biggest settlement of over 40,000 people!
Message 24 of 105

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think a lot of people have @jonsie EE seems to be the go to network here from O2. So much so that a new store has sprung up in town making that 2 in the town, whereas you walk past the O2 shop and you can actually see the staff scratching their bums and wandering around an empty store.

Message 26 of 105

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
No point trying to sell phones in a town with no signal !!
EE mst be putting new masts up all over as my work phone now has 3 bars at home - not sure if that's good for me or not though 😞
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 27 of 105

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Yet again in my area....seems to be a weekly thing. Contract phone is useless, EE phone prodly displaying 3 bars of 4G sat watching Sky Sports...

• Sorry we're currently working on a phone mast in this area
    You might experience problems making calls, using the internet, or sending/receiving emails in this area.
    Updated 15:00 (refreshed hourly). Recent faults might not show yet.

• Normal coverage for Voice, text and email (2G)
      Making calls, sending texts, using email on your phone.
      Good indoors and outdoors.

• Normal coverage for Mobile internet and voice (3G)
      Fast networking. For smartphones, dongles and tablets.
      Good indoors and outdoors. Good for mobile broadband.

• Normal coverage for Mobile Internet (4G)
      Seamless connectivity and mobile internet.
      Sorry, we do not have coverage here.

Message 28 of 105

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It'll be fixed next week wink

Currently using:
Message 29 of 105

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions