cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 shop requiring phone password for a repair to avoid charges

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All

My daughter's Samsung Galaxy developed a screen fault under warranty so I took it to my local O2 shop.

The lady who served me told me she needed the backup password otherwise the repair would generate a charge.  I queried this and she told me that it wouldn't be very secure if engineers could work on the phone without a password.  The charge could be anything up to the cost of a new phone.

I managed to get hold of the password and handed it over and was told there wouldn't be a charge.

On the way home I remembered I was told that all the data would be wiped.  OK so they will do a factory reset.  However, the password is not required for a factory reset so I'm confused as to why they would need it.

Is this a scam where they charge you for a 3 minute factory reset which they would do anyway?  More distrurbingly, they now have access to all my 14 year old daughter's private data when there was no need for it.

Am I missing something here?

Kind Regards

Steve

Message 1 of 15
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
They wouldn't be able to test the phone to find out what the fault was without the password.
Chances are it may need a factory reset (most common fix and can be done yourself without the need to take phone anywhere), however, some faults may not need the phone wiping so would be better for you to not have to re-install everything.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

MI5
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
They wouldn't be able to test the phone to find out what the fault was without the password.
Chances are it may need a factory reset (most common fix and can be done yourself without the need to take phone anywhere), however, some faults may not need the phone wiping so would be better for you to not have to re-install everything.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi thanks for you reply.  But they told me they would wipe all the data anyway, so I think that a factory reset would be normal practice and I don't see why doing a factory reset would generate a charge?

Kind Regards

Steve

Message 3 of 15

MI5
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
The shop wouldn't know what was required.
Yes, they might wipe all data, but equally they may not.
There is no charge for a factory reset.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to bang on, maybe I'm being dense here, but why would they charge a fee if the password is not given?  The fix for no password is to do a factory reset which, as you say they don't charge for.

Kind Regards

Steve

Message 5 of 15

MI5
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

I dunno mate - As I said above, there is no charge for a factory reset as part of the repair process.

I can only guess that they need the password to determine the fault prior to resetting the device.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks again, I guess it's a bit of a mystery.

The fault was no display on the screen although the phone did still work as my daughter managed to log on with her thumbprint and we managed to back it up by USB so that was lucky.

It should be repaired in a few days, so I'll ask them in the shop for an explanation before I pick it up.

Kind Regards

Steve

Message 7 of 15

MI5
  • 144313 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Let us know what they say please.....?

Currently using:
Message 8 of 15

Anonymous
Not applicable

Will do Smiley LOL

Message 9 of 15

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
Strange indeed, but I'm guessing as @MI5 said that it's too gain access before doing a factory reset to determine what the problem is.

I can see why it's disturbed you a bit though, our personal info and that of our children is not something u want every Tom, Richard and Harry having access to.

I'll keep an eye out for what, if anything you learn about the process as it may help another user in your situation in future.
Message 10 of 15