cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 rip you off

Anonymous
Not applicable

In December I upgraded my phone,I rang customer services and requested an unlock code for my old phone so my wife could use it as it was a smartphone.I spoke with a foreign lady,I assume their call centre is abroad,and she assured me she'd sort it,it never happened! Well today I decided to request the code again as my wife's old phone has died,I received a message from O2 saying they couldn't provide me with a code as the IMIEI number did not belong to one of their phones!

So hang on a minute,you take out a contract and they say the phone you pick is worth X hundred pounds,you do an upgrade when you renew your contract and then they expect you to just dump your old phone? Seems like someone is trying to rip me off,if that is how they want to play it then at the end of your contract they should reimburse you for a large portion of the cost they charge for the phone.

I shall be making a post on facebook and all of the other forums I frequent and warning people about this practice,and next time my contract is up I'll be going with another provider,one that has a decent call centre staffed by people that do as they are asked,and more importantly a company that doesn't see it's customers as cash cows.DISGUSTING!

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

What phone is it out of interest? Also if it matches up you can unlock via My O2 http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 29

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

What phone is it out of interest? Also if it matches up you can unlock via My O2 http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2

That link won't work in this instance I'm afraid, however, the message you got back is a standard (vague and unhelpful) reply, which usually means the phone isn't locked.

Try your wifes sim card in it and see if it works.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 29

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Also, glad to see your previous network issues were resolved.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you succeed in finding a phone company who don't take the greatest of pleasure in ripping you off would you let us know ? I would like to find one that has a customer service that don't lie to you and then rip you off by charging you for phone calls they suggest which are incorrect.

Message 5 of 29

jonsie
  • 93219 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

Any company be it a mobile network or any other commodity company will charge you for what you use. If a mistake has been made they would normally refund you. Unfortunately people tend to use live chat when the best option is always to call.

Message 6 of 29

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

If you succeed in finding a phone company who don't take the greatest of pleasure in ripping you off would you let us know ? I would like to find one that has a customer service that don't lie to you and then rip you off by charging you for phone calls they suggest which are incorrect.

If you start a new thread and give us details of your problem we may be able to advise you.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 29

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23061 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

@Anonymous If you've come to the forum just to have a rant, that's fine, but if you have a legitimate grievance you'd like to discuss, start your own thread, as @MI5 suggests, which would be the preferred way to do it. We're all customers here, but we'll try to advise you as best we can.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 8 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just out of interest, the sim may have been O2 but was the phone bought direct from O2, I believe sellers such as carphone warehouse supply stock phones which would not be then classed as an O2 handset as they did not directly provide it.

That said CPW usually send out their phones unlocked anyway.

Message 9 of 29

MI5
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
All CPW phones are supplied unlocked. The exception is the iPhone, which is unlocked until a sim is inserted. The phone will then lock to that sim card.
O2 have stated that they can and will unlock iPhones purchased this way from CPW.

Currently using:
Message 10 of 29