cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 rip you off

Anonymous
Not applicable

In December I upgraded my phone,I rang customer services and requested an unlock code for my old phone so my wife could use it as it was a smartphone.I spoke with a foreign lady,I assume their call centre is abroad,and she assured me she'd sort it,it never happened! Well today I decided to request the code again as my wife's old phone has died,I received a message from O2 saying they couldn't provide me with a code as the IMIEI number did not belong to one of their phones!

So hang on a minute,you take out a contract and they say the phone you pick is worth X hundred pounds,you do an upgrade when you renew your contract and then they expect you to just dump your old phone? Seems like someone is trying to rip me off,if that is how they want to play it then at the end of your contract they should reimburse you for a large portion of the cost they charge for the phone.

I shall be making a post on facebook and all of the other forums I frequent and warning people about this practice,and next time my contract is up I'll be going with another provider,one that has a decent call centre staffed by people that do as they are asked,and more importantly a company that doesn't see it's customers as cash cows.DISGUSTING!

Message 1 of 29
28 REPLIES 28

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Indeed they will and people have posted they have had their phones unlocked due to this idiotic policy by CPW.

Message 11 of 29

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Apple. Apple refuse to supply unlocked handsets, keeping them apple store exclusive.
Message 12 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

I return to you with my head bowed.

I suppose I came for a rant. I came late at night and saw "chat unavailable" and I thought it looked very much like the staff at the O2 shops in meadowhall in Sheffield England.

When I got the various replies from you all on my e-mail I decided to return to at least try to get something done.

I found the live call was active and connected instantly.

My first gripe was that the staff mentioned above gave me a number for motorola to try to get my battery replaced even though they said it was still under warranty. When I rang motorola they had no record of my purchase, it was purchased from the O2 shop as a deal phone and sim, so the call took 12 minutes, when I returned to the shop they gave me another number.

When I told the chat operator I was creditted with £5 on my account (the call cost just less than £5). I hope that will show up on my account, if so, that is brilliant.

My second gripe is that I accidently downloaded an app whilst on the data setting and not connected to a wifi router, this used up all my data allowance. That was at the end of June. I don't get my data allowance back till the 27 July when my next bill comes in. I thought  this a bit excessive.

My contract is due to end then but after a conversation with the contract operator on the chat, they will cancel my present contract and refund the outstanding amount, set me on a new contract from tonight and refresh my data limit from tonight.

If my data has returned tonight and I don't have to somehow switch something back on that will also be brilliant.

So, hoping both those happen, I wish to appologise to O2 for my rant and to you people for being so understanding.

Message 13 of 29

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions

Hi there @Anonymous

So it seems that you've sorted your problem via live chat? Have u kept the logs of that chat? The reason I ask is that unfortunately live chat aren't always great at following through with what they promise, especially where it's account related.. I'd be quite surprised if the £5 is added that you were also promised m, as live chat don't have permissions to give out goodwill gestures...

As to the data, unfortunately that was a mistake on your part as you were connected to data when downloading your app. So I'm unsure as to what was "excessive" in this instance?

Anyhoo, as you have hopefully sorted a new contract out then you should be all set.

One more thing though. Could I ask u to clarify what you were supposedly refunded in relation to "cancel my present contract and refund the outstanding amount"? As that also sounds like something live chat are also unable to actually do.

@MI5 is far more knowledgeable about these things than I do hopefully he'll see the shout and correct me if I'm mistaken.

Message 14 of 29

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

We all like a rant at times, me more than most but there again I'm married to a Thai LOL

Hope all goes as you have been told, do keep us advised slight_smile

Message 15 of 29

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
No need to apologise mate - we know it's not personal slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 16 of 29

Cleoriff
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

A good rant often clears the air. Just as impressed that you came back to apologise @Anonymous Hope all goes well slight_smile

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 17 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think it is excessive that when you use all your data they don't let you have anymore until your next bill, in my case the whole month. Surely replacing the data a bit at a time would have made more sense.

I was passed from the normal chat to the contracts department (still on line chat) to renew my contract, it is they who said I would be reinbursed with the unused part of my contract. I was also told I would be e-mailed to my e-mail address a copy of the conversation but that has not arrived yet?

Message 18 of 29

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

hello

editing !!!

Appears to be working OK slight_smile

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 19 of 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

you are too quick MI5. I tried to post and it shot me out losing all my work so I just tested it to see if it would work without me typing it all again, once it worked I retyped everything above 🙂

Message 20 of 29