cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 removed my insurance without informing me thereof

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been an O2 customer for many years. Now I feel outraged and I want to warn other O2 customers. My phone was badly damaged last Saturday and as I had signed up for insurance for my very expensive handset, I tried to make a claim. To my shock, I was told that my insurance had been cancelled by O2 without my having been informed thereof. Apparently this happens automatically when one pays one's bill late. I faced a £201 bill in February which led to my phone having been disconnected for a mere two hours! In spite of my having settled this bill within a few hours, O2 removed my insurance without letting me know! One of your insurance supervisors told me that this was completely in line with your terms and conditions. I believe this is outrageous. My bill amounts are very irregular, and often exceed £100, so I never noticed that I was not paying insurance since February. I think that your customers should be made aware of such shoddy business practice. I will take legal action should this matter not be resolved, but also want to inform other customers - be warned that this company thinks it can act with impunity and that the terms and conditions contain hidden clauses which can be seriously detrimental to the customer.

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

Firstly, I apologize for my cynicism which led me to allege that some posters may be employees of O2. It was your outright dismissal of my just cause which made me suspicious. Dear perksie, bambino, lovemyphone, please accept my apology.

Secondly, I did raise a complaint through O2's complaints procedure, but did not receive an answer as of yet. However, after having posted on O2's Facebook site, I received a private Facebook message with an invitation to chat with them to try and set the matter straight. The first operator closed the chat, but the second operator, upon my demand to speak to a supervisor, appeared to be helpful. He spoke to his manager and they agreed that my insurance should have been reinstated, and they have left appropriate notes on my account. I have it in writing (as I copied the chat transcript and demanded a chat ID) that this was an error by the team which reconnected me. Any member who desires a copy, I will gladly send it in a private message. Apparently, the matter will be sorted if I visit the shop tomorrow. We shall see and I will keep you posted. 

If this is the case, and I say 'if' until I have a replacement handset in my hands, then I will continue to be an O2 customer. When I have a new handset, I shall also inform Facebook users of the outcome and of O2's cooperation..

Either way, please beware and make sure that you inquire about your insurance should you ever be disconnected, even if just for a few hours. With handsets costing about £500, this is an important aspect to bear in mind.

Best wishes

Message 11 of 26

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Either way, please beware and make sure that you inquire about your insurance should you ever be disconnected, even if just for a few hours. With handsets costing about £500, this is an important aspect to bear in mind. 

Good advice....

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 26

Cleoriff
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

I would never have thought of dealing with them via Facebook...good call on that. wink

I hope it works out for you tomorrow when you go instore.. We will be very interested to hear a positive outcome. Good luck

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 13 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been proposed an amicable solution by O2 and have it in official writing via their complaints department. I cannot disclose details of this communication as it is private and confidential. All I can say is that the company was, in the end, cooperative and accommodating. 

However, to all you fellow customers, if you have a sound grievance relating to your having been treated genuinely unfairly, and if you find it difficult to find redress via established complaints procedures, then do not hesitate to seek out social media. Whether this forum, or Facebook, etc, the power of social media should not be underestimated from a consumer's (customer's) perspective. Legal redress aside, companies are reliant on their public perception, and complaints in social media can cause a serious dent in their desire to be perceived positively. 

I should not have had to jump through social media hoops, but all is well that ends well.

Beware of the terms and conditions, and I hope sincerely that my posting here will have warned, and hence helped, fellow consumers who might find themselves in a similar position.

Best wishes

Message 14 of 26

MI5
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
Glad it's sorted and thanks for highlighting the case.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 15 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
No worries, thanks very much, hope it gets resolved for you & for highlighting the Facebook help as I never knew about that
Message 16 of 26

Cleoriff
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
No worries, thanks very much, hope it gets resolved for you & for highlighting the Facebook help as I never knew about that

Nor me. I shall certainly remember the FB link now though....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 17 of 26

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

You can also contact O2 on Twitter using @Anonymous  should the need arise.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 18 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks @perksie. I knew about that one but not about the Facebook one though
Message 19 of 26

MI5
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions

@perksie wrote:

You can also contact O2 on Twitter using @Anonymous  should the need arise.

There's no gurantees that you will get a response from O2 though....... Astounded

Currently using:
Message 20 of 26