cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 are horrendous

Anonymous
Not applicable
Having been a O2 customer for over four years and never once missing a payment I canceled my contract to move with Vodafone when I cancelled the contract I called O2 and let me tell you even trying to speak with someone on the phone took a very very long time. So I asked the O2 advisor the outstanding amount of my bill so I could pay it and move on he advised me 37 pounds which I paid in full so for me that was me finished with O2 but oh no in there infinite wisdom they thought they would get straight in touch with a debt collecting agency for a outstanding balance of 89 pounds rather than calling me and discussing it. So this has really affected my credit score I am currently trying to get a foot on the property ladder and I have been punished by O2 not because I did anything wrong only because they are so incompetent.
I would highly recommend that anyone who is still with O2 to leave they really are horrendous
Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

A bit of a mess unfortunately. Many people have had this problem when closing the account and cancelling the direct debit. O2 should have informed you of outstanding payments.

Try the complaints route, link at foot of page.

Message 2 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

A bit of a mess unfortunately. Many people have had this problem when closing the account and cancelling the direct debit. O2 should have informed you of outstanding payments.

Try the complaints route, link at foot of page.

@jonsie   Just for information,please.  Do outstanding payments not show up on one's monthly account?

Gerry

Message 3 of 27

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

Yes they will always show in My O2 but people never seem to check once they think the account is closed.

Message 4 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable
I thought they try and make contact to obtain payment before selling the debt on.

Ask for proof on how they carried this out.

If you perform a search on here a member called @Anonymous has left some very good info on how to tackle instances like this.

If you don't do something the default will stay on your credit file for 6 years even after you've paid the debt.

However having one default may not stop a mortgage. (Although obviously under your explanation this shouldn't be on in the first place)

Good luck.
Message 5 of 27

MI5
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
We always advise that the DD is let in place for at least one full month after account cancellation to ensure that any mistakes, such as this, don't punish the customer.
O2 really do need to sort this out as it is a major problem and concern for anyone trying to leave a monthly contract......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
We always advise that the DD is let in place for at least one full month after account cancellation to ensure that any mistakes, such as this, don't punish the customer.
O2 really do need to sort this out as it is a major problem and concern for anyone trying to leave a monthly contract......

I heartily agree some sorting out is overdue @MI5     

If a customer gets in touch with O2 "to cancel an account",  which I would understand to mean "I want to end this contract by a paying any outstanding debt asscociated with it", then surely at that stage (not one or two or three months later) O2 should check the account and inform the customer the total amount he/she must pay to end the contract.  Is that not the way any sensible trading business would operate?

I do not know what O2's legal responsibilities are so far as informing customers about outstanding payments but I would have thought the provision of monthly statements of account would go some way to meeting those responsibilities and there can be little excuse for a customer claiming he/she was not aware. (I am speaking generally here, not about this specific case the full details of which are not, and should not be, made available in this forum.)

Gerry

Message 7 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I thought they try and make contact to obtain payment before selling the debt on.

Ask for proof on how they carried this out.

If you perform a search on here a member called @Anonymous has left some very good info on how to tackle instances like this.

Great pity @Anonymous does not appear to be on hand at present.   Miss his expertise and wise counsel! 

Gerry

Message 8 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

MI5
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
You understand correctly Gerry, yet over and over again we see these kind of issues arising, for some reason?
My feeling is that if a DD is left in place after supposed cancellation and O2 do error in some way, they will at least get their money (the customer can have it returned at a later date) and these defaults would be negated somewhat....?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 27