Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 and the NSPCC

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122370 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I have been browsing around the foprum the past couple of days looking for changes. In the help section there is now a link to O2 and the NSPCC

I wondered if this was new and according to @Toby it is....

Capture.Header.JPG

If you click on the NSPCC link in the help section then this is displayed

Capture.NSPCC.JPG

O2 are looking to be proactive to help keep children safe online. Some of their plans include

• Launch an online safety helpline for parents to call for technical advice.
  • Bring online safety workshops for parents and carers into schools and workplaces.
  • Train staff so all O2 stores can help adults with their online safety concerns.

Excellent idea. I really commend O2 for this. It really is worth a read...

http://www.o2.co.uk/help/nspcc

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would certainly support any efforts made to protect children and other vulnerable people from the dreadful predations to which they can be subjected online.  I would have to say, however, that I would be more impressed if O2 and other Network Operators did much, much more to prevent unsuitable material getting online in the first place.   

Message 2 of 14

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
I would have to say, however, that I would be more impressed if O2 and other Network Operators did much, much more to prevent unsuitable material getting online in the first place.   

You mean Police the internet....?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 14

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

Capture.NSPCC.JPG

What an excellent idea Mexican Wave

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 14

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I would have to say, however, that I would be more impressed if O2 and other Network Operators did much, much more to prevent unsuitable material getting online in the first place.   

You mean Police the internet....?

That would be the biggest of jobs!

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 5 of 14

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
You ain't kidding !!

Currently using:
Message 6 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
You ain't kidding !!

An interesting pun @MI5 though unintended I am sure!    I have no doubt it would be a big job but that is no excuse for not trying.  The scarcest resource is, regrettably,  the will to do it.

Message 7 of 14

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Governments the World over, ISP's and thousands of other agencies are trying and failing.
With the utmost respect to O2, they would fail.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 14

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

We should do all we can to safeguard our children so I applaud initiatives like this. However no matter how diligent the authorities, the networks and we as parents try to be, there are so many terrible people out there and they find new ways around any safeguards.

....but we have to ask ourselves, better to live in the 'free' world or better to live in China, for example, where every web connection is monitored and policed.

Difficult choice I think.

Message 9 of 14

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie wrote:

We should do all we can to safeguard our children so I applaud initiatives like this. However no matter how diligent the authorities, the networks and we as parents try to be, there are so many terrible people out there and they find new ways around any safeguards.

....but we have to ask ourselves, better to live in the 'free' world or better to live in China, for example, where every web connection is monitored and policed.

Difficult choice I think.

Interesting point though of course the choice would not be that stark.  However  we are in danger of straying too far off topic and the faceless monitors will be withdrawing our freedom of expression!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 10 of 14