cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Sold my number

Anonymous
Not applicable
I got my phone on a 2 year contract, I had hardly any spam calls and no spam texts, now I have recently paid my phone off and decided just to pay the tariff and continue using the device. Within days I was recieving 1-2 phone calls from all over the country, a week later its 3-4 calls. This is what O2 will do to you when you finished paying for the phone, they will give it to thier partners and they in turn will sell it to every spam buisiness they can get. Im just adding them to my reject list, some companies are now chamging the start of the number to +44 so hopefully it will fade out. Is this an O2 con to upgrade phone?, because im not. Not with the new models they brought out, oh a new phone charger and a curved edge, thats worth another 20 pound a month my a**e.
Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
Go into your settings and uncheck the receive communications from O2. It won't stop the ones you're getting atm but will avoid any further sharing of your number.

Also I don't think paying the device off and these calls are linked, but I'm willing to be proven wrong on that!
Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
Go into your settings and uncheck the receive communications from O2. It won't stop the ones you're getting atm but will avoid any further sharing of your number.

Also I don't think paying the device off and these calls are linked, but I'm willing to be proven wrong on that!
Message 2 of 9

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143417 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Unless you specifically opt out the default setting is that you agree to O2 sharing your number with selected partners and other companies.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

It's all about reading the small print when you sign up - O2 can hardly be blamed if you failed to opt out.

Message 4 of 9

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
Your records have always been visible to these partners, its just now you are in a position where you can upgrade and they all want a piece of that pie.
Message 5 of 9

jonsie
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Your details are already on the trusted partners data base. As said, they now know the device is paid off and you may want to upgrade. It's what they do, as annoying as it is to ourselves, people need a job and work mainly for commission.

Update your preferences and in the meantime, block the number or politely decline any offer and ask that they remove your number from their data base.

Some weeks the only calls I get are from people wanting to sell me things.....sad but it shows I exist somewhere. Lighten up, if a cold call is the worst thing that happens on any given day then you are in a happy place and life is good.

Now if you want a list of my problems.....

Message 6 of 9

L_W_Ward
Level 12: Nimble
  • 625 Posts
  • 42 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

I've paid of many phones via O2 refresh and never had these before getting a new contract. Could you have missed out a tick box on something? they vary as some say untick while others say tick.

iPhone 13 Pro Max 25gBG,
iPad 9th Gen,
Apple Watch Ultra,
,Airpod Pro,
Apple TV 4K,
Apple TV HD,
HomePods,
Message 7 of 9

MI5
  • 143417 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Opt out options are in your My O2
http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 9

jonsie
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 9 of 9