cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Recycle

Anonymous
Not applicable

I visited the local O2 store today to recycle my phone and take out a new contract. I was under the impression that all o2 retail stores offered the recycle service. 

I was amazed to be met by the most rude manageress who said that she did not take in recycle phones, and if you wanted to recycle you had to post them in and wait for the funds to be transferred as she wasn't prepared to take any risk with any handset when recycling!!

My phones (yes, 2, I was looking to upgrade 2 contracts) are both in pretty much immaculate condition with little or no scratches/damage at all. I really look after them, keep them in a case, screen protectors etc... so I was amazed to be met with such disdain. Has anyone else come across this before? Is it right that a store doesn't have to offer the recycle service? If this is the case then surely this should be advertised as 'at the discretion of the manager in store'???

I was at the point of changing network prior to this due to poor customer service, but I think this may have tipped me over the edge. I spend around £130 a month on 3 handsets; granted, this is minor in the grand scheme of things, but it's a lot to me. All I expect is to be treat with respect as a customer...

Has anyone else come across this before?

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

AlignedChaos
  • 77 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 14 Solutions

You need to look here for the list of other recycling companies that O2 "could" match.  That is a very important word "could".  It is a word they use in their O2 Recycle T&C's and so is infact not a price match guarantee.

https://www.o2recycle.co.uk/pricematch

Also, Fonebank - one of the consistently better online payers and CEX are not listed.

Message 21 of 24

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

All I know is this. One of the Sony users on this forum...a guy who keeps his phones in immaculate condition was offered £100 less with O2 recycle.

Personally I have never recycled any of my phones as I usually pass them on to family members...but having been on here since 2013 and reading about the tactics they use ie reducing offered prices, claiming none existent damage etc etc etc... I honestly doubt I would ever use them

I am sure there are many who do however.......

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 22 of 24

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
I've recycled iPhones directly with Apple - no complaints at all and gave me the best prices of anywhere.
They'll do it in store and give you money off a new one immediately too.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 23 of 24

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Wonder how much we would get for an ex-international manager and 20 dustbins?

Message 24 of 24