cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Recycle

Anonymous
Not applicable

I visited the local O2 store today to recycle my phone and take out a new contract. I was under the impression that all o2 retail stores offered the recycle service. 

I was amazed to be met by the most rude manageress who said that she did not take in recycle phones, and if you wanted to recycle you had to post them in and wait for the funds to be transferred as she wasn't prepared to take any risk with any handset when recycling!!

My phones (yes, 2, I was looking to upgrade 2 contracts) are both in pretty much immaculate condition with little or no scratches/damage at all. I really look after them, keep them in a case, screen protectors etc... so I was amazed to be met with such disdain. Has anyone else come across this before? Is it right that a store doesn't have to offer the recycle service? If this is the case then surely this should be advertised as 'at the discretion of the manager in store'???

I was at the point of changing network prior to this due to poor customer service, but I think this may have tipped me over the edge. I spend around £130 a month on 3 handsets; granted, this is minor in the grand scheme of things, but it's a lot to me. All I expect is to be treat with respect as a customer...

Has anyone else come across this before?

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

http://www.o2.co.uk/recycle

How O2 Recycle works

You can get cash for your old mobile phones, tablets and other devices. Just follow these simple steps:

1. Find out how much your gadget’s worth
  2. If you’re happy with the price, register and we’ll send you a freepost pack. You can then send your gadget to us (or visit us in store)
  3. Once we receive it, we’ll quickly get your money / Choose if you want a cheque, bank transfer, Amazon Gift Card, or bill credit.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 24

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

How O2 Recycle works

You can get cash for your old mobile phones, tablets and other devices. Just follow these simple steps:

2. If you’re happy with the price, register and we’ll send you a freepost pack. You can then send your gadget to us (or visit us in store)
  3. Once we receive it, we’ll quickly get your money / Choose if you want a cheque, bank transfer, Amazon Gift Card, or bill credit.

Thank you @MI5 That particular link makes it very clear.:smileywink: (I have recycled) rewarded you for the info...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 24

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

LOL

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 24

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 22939 Posts
  • 1022 Topics
  • 3662 Solutions

@AlignedChaos wrote:

Not to detract from O2's service at all however if you shop around you can get more cash for your old mobile from other recycling companies (there are many, I have used Fonebank) or even some of the high street chash exchange places such as CEX (which I have also used).

Just to back up what @AlignedChaos has said, as an example, I looked up my old Nexus 5 which I keep for emergencies on O2 Recycle and they would give me £35.70 for it. CEX will pay £79.00. 

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 14 of 24

jonsie
  • 92912 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

I will give my Note 4 to a street urchin rather than trade it in to O2 recycle...

Message 15 of 24

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

I will give my Note 4 to a street urchin rather than trade it in to O2 recycle...

And I am having a Note 4....but I am no street urchin....Oh hang on...Happy Dance

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 24

jonsie
  • 92912 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

to go one further:

Why recycle with O2?

O2 Recycle is open to everyone, whatever your network. We take phones, MP3 players, tablets, cameras and other gadgets. You can get an O2 Recycle quote to find out how much your device is worth.

With O2 Recycle you can expect:

• Our Top Price Promise – if you find a better deal somewhere else, we’ll match it.
  • Customer satisfaction – we’ll send your device back for free if you’re not 100% happy. And we're the best rated mobile network recycler on TrustPilot scoring 9.8 /10.
  • Free postage – we’ll give you a pack with everything you need to send your gadget to us.
  • Responsible recycling – if your items can’t be refurbished, they’ll be recycled here in the UK. We’ve already recycled over 1.4 million devices, and paid our customers over £100 million.

O2 Recycle raises funds for Think Big, our initiative to help turn around the lives of young people, and for NSPCC, to keep kids safe online. To date, O2 Recycle has raised over £3 million for Think Big helping us to positively impact the lives of over 750,000 young people.

How O2 Recycle works

All the money raised by O2 Recycle is put towards Think Big, our initiative to help turn around the lives of young people.

Message 18 of 24

jonsie
  • 92912 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 19 of 24

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Sorry @Anonymous but the experience of many on here is... they can get more for their phones elsewhere....

So however noble O2 Recycle sound on paper most people want as much  as possible when putting towards a new device. They also don't want to be offered a price...only to find that gets halved when the phone is sent in...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 20 of 24