cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Recycle

Anonymous
Not applicable

I visited the local O2 store today to recycle my phone and take out a new contract. I was under the impression that all o2 retail stores offered the recycle service. 

I was amazed to be met by the most rude manageress who said that she did not take in recycle phones, and if you wanted to recycle you had to post them in and wait for the funds to be transferred as she wasn't prepared to take any risk with any handset when recycling!!

My phones (yes, 2, I was looking to upgrade 2 contracts) are both in pretty much immaculate condition with little or no scratches/damage at all. I really look after them, keep them in a case, screen protectors etc... so I was amazed to be met with such disdain. Has anyone else come across this before? Is it right that a store doesn't have to offer the recycle service? If this is the case then surely this should be advertised as 'at the discretion of the manager in store'???

I was at the point of changing network prior to this due to poor customer service, but I think this may have tipped me over the edge. I spend around £130 a month on 3 handsets; granted, this is minor in the grand scheme of things, but it's a lot to me. All I expect is to be treat with respect as a customer...

Has anyone else come across this before?

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Never heard if it myself but maybe the store had been bitten previously by some of the negative reports we hear on here about o2 recycle and didn't want anything to do with it.
If they have a choice in the matter, I can't say that I blame them.
Have a search on here and you'll see some horror stories of immaculate phones being marked down for non evident faults, damaged screens, chips and scratches (that don't exist) etc.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 24

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I honestly thought all phones for recycling had to be sent in...not taken to a shop....

https://www.o2recycle.co.uk/terms.aspx

Or if placing an order https://www.o2recycle.co.uk/how-it-works.aspx

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've recycled phones in store before successfully several times. Don't know why she wouldn't accept it unless that particular store doesn't participate in the scheme
Message 4 of 24

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
I've recycled phones in store before successfully several times. Don't know why she wouldn't accept it unless that particular store doesn't participate in the scheme

If thats the case then they need to change the guidelines  @Anonymous. As both links I posted make it clear the phones should be sent off?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 24

MI5
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
They can be handed in to a store but stores can't give a payment for them.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 24

Anonymous
Not applicable

No it usually goes as a credit on your airtime plan, you can also use the recycle cost towards paying off your device plan or towards the upfront cost of a new phone 

Message 7 of 24

AlignedChaos
Level 9: Fired up
  • 77 Posts
  • 13 Topics
  • 14 Solutions

Not to detract from O2's service at all however if you shop around you can get more cash for your old mobile from other recycling companies (there are many, I have used Fonebank) or even some of the high street chash exchange places such as CEX (which I have also used).

Message 8 of 24

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Either way I would like some formal clarification on the process. I am not disbelieving anyone who says phones can be handed into stores as part of O2 recycle...BUT I cant find any official links to confirm it. Everything I read says 'post it back'....Sorry if this sounds as if I am sticking to my guns here but I dislike giving people wrong advice.!

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 24

MI5
  • 143423 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
or people confusing the issue.....

Currently using:
Message 10 of 24