cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Credit Referrals...

Anonymous
Not applicable
I was refused an O2 contract due to failing the O2 credit check. I have an excellent credit history so after buying and checking my Equifax report and finding it has a high score raised the matter with O2 credit referrals (email only service). After waiting for the obligatory 5 days I got the non-specific and very vague response below. I asked someone else on this forum who reported similar credit check problems and they confirmed that they got the same response.

It seems then that even after the 5 day wait, all you get is an automated and unhelpful response. I've now sent in a customer complaint, but it really seems that once the O2 automated credit check has marked against you, it's extremely difficult to actually get a 'thinking' human being to look at the case and enter into a meaningful dialog that would help to resolve the mis-understanding.

Can anyone suggest how, or to whom I could address my enquiry more directly or tell me of any success stories in overcoming such problems?

Text of O2 reply:-
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good afternoon

Thank you for your email about your application for service with O2.

O2 use a number of business policies to assess an application for service via an automated scorecard. Credit scoring produces consistent decisions and is designed to ensure all applicants are treated fairly. As many criteria are considered when assessing applications, it is unlikely that any one specific item would have meant that you did not meet our requirements.

Regards

Telefónica O2 UK Limited
Credit File Referrals (Uk)
Finance and Professional Services
Suite P, Arlington Business Centre LS11 0NE
f +44 (0)113 202 5865
www.o2.co.uk
Message 1 of 118
117 REPLIES 117

Anonymous
Not applicable
999 means absolutely nothing in credit checks, that is just a number they have given you. If you check with Equifax you'll find a completely different score. You score is not indicative of being accepted for credit, neither is your billing history (though it is taken into account). Each company has their own criteria, and the outcome of the credit check is based on that, not on a score.

If you believe you have been given a decline that isn't warranted then you would be best to contact creditfilereferrals@o2.com to ask for a manual check, bare in mind they are not obligated to tell you why you have failed, but if they can help then they certainly will.
Message 51 of 118

Anonymous
Not applicable
Wouldn't waste any more time on O2, as you said you don't have tell me and indeed it's unlikely they will. You say the credit scores means nothing, but surely they base their decision on what they see on the file, and in my case their reasons are unreasonable. No defaults, paid on time all time, only two credit accounts on file and one of them is theirs. O2 are just a bunch of computer says "no" clowns.
Message 52 of 118

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have no major changes, steady work don't change jobs often top 10% salary, one home move in 10 years, no bad credit, no late payments. I'm just waiting on equafax file now in order to see how it differs to my experian. Though I take your point about appling for my next contract.
Message 53 of 118

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Angrydog and welcome to the Community. We are all customers here helping each other.

It has been recommended that you contact the credit file referrals team (email address in previous post) to see what they can do.

Each of the networks has its own policy on their requirements. It may be that they limit the number that a single person can have for example. It is not a slight on how good a payer you are in that case, just the way they work. I know Vodafone get funny if you ask for more than 2 contracts in the same name (from experience).

Recommend you email the credit file referrals team to see what if anything can be done.
Message 54 of 118

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143455 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I don't believe O2 limit the number of contracts you can have under normal circumstances. All 4 of my family contracts are in my name.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 55 of 118

Anonymous
Not applicable
Excellent clarity there @MI5.

Therefore the OP really needs to liaise with the credit file referrals team to sort out the issues they have
Message 56 of 118

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, thanks for the welcome, I have now emailed them 10 days they take to reply, and I'm waiting on another credit file from another credit agency to compare. Regardless of what people say about their own scoring procedures it is unfair how they conduct themselves, to be honest I don't think they will tell me, nor will they be bothered about losing a customer.
Message 57 of 118

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok I've seen my experian file which as I said is 999 score, just seen my equaifax file which I was expecting to see something anything to perhaps give a hint at why O2 fail me, and it mirrors my experian showing perfect financial history.

I haven't got a clue what I'm expected do be to fit O2 criteria, do I need a ccj? Perhaps a default? I'll await the referrals teams response. Absolute laughable how they conduct their business.
Message 58 of 118

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok We read your comments but I am not really sure where you are going with this now other than to rant.

We have provided you with the correct route to resolve your enquiry. You have followed that route and been advised (up to) 10 days for feedback. So now it is a waiting game.

There really is little more we can do here. Please let us know the outcome.
Message 59 of 118

Anonymous
Not applicable
Merely giving the full picture hence my updates, yes I'm not happy, but iam all right jack attitude from you is ok you don't have the problem, but there will be others who share this problem. I found this thread merely by googling my problem so here Iam. Maybe others will.
Message 60 of 118