cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Are Charging £90 more for the iPhone 6 Plus 128GB than Apple Do

Anonymous
Not applicable
So it appears Apple are claiming in all of their deals that the Apple iphone 6 plus handset costs £879. In fact Apple charge £789 for this handset. O2 are therefore claiming £90 more. I have spoken to an agent online ( I have a screen shot) and they told me I was incorrect and that O2 match Apples prices. Having directed them to Apples website they admitted I was correct. Even the agent didn't realize O2 charge more for this. Has anyone else notices O2 are ripping off their customers? They can package it up as we have the best network of something similar but they should add the price on elsewhere not claim the handset is £879 when this isn't true.

Having been a customer of O2 for 8 years I am disgusted they would rip of their customers so blatantly. It's shocking. Maybe I am the only one who has noticed this or cares?
Message 1 of 53
52 REPLIES 52

Anonymous
Not applicable

@jonsie,
I am not fussed actually by the overall cost of the phone. It is roughly similar to my current contract. It's just not clear the way they have structured the payment plan and there is a level of dishonesty there.

Saying all that, O2 actually have the cheapest 24month plan out there. For the 64gb iPhone 6 (£129.99 upfront), the 24 month 4G plan @£48pm with 20gb data and 6 month "free" insurance is great value compared to Vodafone and EE. I might get that when I calm down, even though it costs more overall. Might.

Message 41 of 53

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
If you choose the £48 tariff with £130 upfront you'll only pay £610 for the phone.... https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/refreshTariffs/apple/iphone-6-64gb-space-grey/
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 42 of 53

Anonymous
Not applicable
@Anonymous You said you remember when networks would subsidise the handset cost. So do i, but isn't this just a question of marketing?

Take for example the 64gb iPhone 6, if they advertised it as "We will give you a free iPhone 6 if you take the £53 tariff" the total cost works out the same as now, but they are just being upfront about how much goes on the phone & how much on airtime. In the past they would have just said £53 a month please!
Message 43 of 53

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just reading through this thread makes me believe 02 have not made this easy on purpose.

Recalling my chat with support yesterday, the PROMISED the following:

-Phone delivered in 6-7 days

-Phone cannot be pre-ordered in store

-6-7 week was wrong

Additionally, there is no common understanding why the phone is indeed more expensive than Apple (£90 in my case) then they want to turn around and preach that they're intrest free?

I feel I've been lied to with all things considering and I am going to canel my upgrade and leave when my contract is up on the 8th. I will order from Apple directly and just wait...

Message 44 of 53

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi BigMeech

I'm sad to learn your thinking of leaving O2.

This situation isn't new and it's O2 setting their own prices for a person getting the phone in instalments instead of paying hundreds of pounds upfront for it.

It will be interesting to see what O2 charge for the iPhone 6 & 6 plus on Pay as you Go.

If you do leave by way of PAC code http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-Feedback/Obtaining-a-PAC-Code-from-the-O2-Network/m-p/54427... then please check out your preferred new network by using one if their Payg SIM cards before you commit.

It's also free to Contract Customers to unlock your phone so it can use all networks here http://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-and-devices/unlocking-your-iphone-and-using-it-on-another-network

Obviously I'd rather you stay with O2 if they give you good signal.

A phone is a secondary importance IMO.

Take care.
Message 45 of 53

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi BigMeech

I'm sad to learn your thinking of leaving O2.

Why would you be sad...
@Anonymoushas obviously made an informed choice. I admire someone standing by their principles and making their decision to buy from Apple at retail thus leaving their network options open.
Message 46 of 53

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's just a shame to see someone leave a network who I assume have had good signal to consider leaving red the reasons they state - that's all.
Message 47 of 53

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
It makes no difference to any other customer who comes and who goes.
People come and go in their thousands every day - All part and parcel of business churn.....
Every customer should choose the network they are happiest with for any reason.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 48 of 53

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Quite, I don't see the need to feel any sadness about an eduated and informed decision made that he feels happy with.

Message 49 of 53

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's a term of phrase I use guys ~ which I do mean by the way.

Try not to get too hung up on it. wink
Message 50 of 53