cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 £2700 bill for data usage abroad

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm a fool for thinking there were reasonable limits imposed by Ofcom on mobile phone providers, but thought it would be interesting for others to know that I just received a £2700 bill for data usage while visiting the US for three weeks.  This is a single billing cycle.

After a certain point, this is plain and simple profiteering.  Wouldn't it be reasonable to say, once a customer has spent £500, to cap his bill for data usage in that billing cycle?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am sure that once you use all your free data allowance on o2 you cant use any more unless you call customer services and buy a bolt on, are you sure this is data and not standard roaming charges?? this very much sounds like a system error and would be more roaming and not data.. call customer services and they will be able to drill down into your bill and go through it. next time download TUgo and use this as its free to send texts and make and recive calls over wifi, just put your phone in flight mode and use Tugo once your on wifi. even if your not making calls etc you will still be charged for roaming as your still connected to a network such as AT&T or Verizon (these are americas most used networks)...

Message 11 of 12

viridis
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I am sure that once you use all your free data allowance on o2 you cant use any more unless you call customer services and buy a bolt on, 

But with roaming outside eu, no data is free.

It would not take long to get to £2700 in America.

If the initial cap was lifted, and no travel bolt ons were in place, the op would only need to use 450mb of data to get to £2700.

Not really a lot nowadays is it.

Message 12 of 12