cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nokia Lumia 520 -My review by BandofBrothers.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Nokia Lumia 520 Review.

Lumia 520.jpg

The manufacturers specifications can found here  http://www.nokia.com/gb-en/phones/phone/lumia520/#

After being fortunate enough to test and review the Nokia Lumia 1020 for o2 - Credit to @Toby  ,my interest in how Nokia Phones and WP software were evolving were reignited, so I decided to purchase the Nokia Lumia 520, to have a play around with. A little cheaper than its bigger brother. Whistle

Design.

The design of the phone is lets face it square but has slightly more rounded edges than the 1020, something I'm liking, and it has a rubbery texture to the rear shell making it very easy to maintain grip. It is very well balanced in the hand. It has a micro usb port at the bottom, power and volume rocker buttons on the right and a standard 3.5mm headphone jack on top. As per my other reviews I like to gauge my choice of handsets by being able to use them one handed - The 520 fits that bill.

Screen size is 4”.

Height: 119.9 mm

Width: 64 mm

Thickness: 9.9 mm

Weight: 124 g

The 5 mega pixel camera on the rear sits very flush with the casing so no cumbersome camera humps to work your fingers around, as i had to do with my previous review phone the Nokia Lumia 1020, but as that phone camera specs are much higher than this phone one has to accept this nodule. The phone accepts a Micro Sim card and their is a SD Slot to take max 64GB to expand the phones memory which is 8GB and Its Ram is 512MB

Operating System and Ui.

What I found under its hood was the Processor Qualcomm Snapdragon™ S4 - Processor type: Dual-core 1 GHz - Operating System: Windows Phone OS

Phone Calls , Texts, Internet and General Usage.

Moving away from all the bells and whistles for a moment lets see how this device performed as its primary function - Yes......A phone..........   LOL

Ive made lots of outbound calls and also received inbound calls which were distortion free for both each person, and the loudspeaker performed very well with no distortion.

The user keyboard is simple to use for sending text messages and writing posts etc 

Internet Connection was strong and 3G was very fast. The internet experience was very buttery smooth using the Browser, and I was again able to use the Rich Editor on the 02 Forum, something lacking on my iPhone 5s.

Wifi connectivity both to my Home Broadband router and City Centre Wifi gave me no issues.

I’m finding that the screen is readable in all lighting conditions both indoors and out.

The phone pushed my e mails to me from my server very well which is something that is a ‘want and need’ from any communication device I use.

The Apps available were the usual affair of useful , eye candy and dross.

The phone coped quite well with less intensive games games I tried out on the phone.

The audible alerts were loud and clear again something which is a want and need due to the environment I work in.

Battery.

I turned on any spec's needed for my daily usage within the phone and used it as my secondary phone, and found that it gave me a days usage.

Camera.

The camera has a 5MP camera which is Ok for my wants and needs to capture that ‘special moment’ picture. 

Music.

As a regular commuter on public transport all I ask is for a good user experience whilst listening to my music, which the Lumia 520 provided very well.

Accessories.

I found the usual affair of weird and wonderful expensive and low cost sleeves and cases for this phone on well known selling sites, and on the high-street.

The Good for me about this handset.

Good design with rounded corners and quality of workmanship is solid.

Excellant Performance.

Battery gave me a days usage..

Removable Battery. 

SD card Slot.

The Not so good for me about this handset.

Camera spec is not the best available.

My Rating out of 10.

7 / 10.

Conclusion.

As I loved the Live tiles on the Lumia 1020 version I wanted to continue to play with the WP software.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

aldaweb
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

2 reviews posted in one day, wow you've been busy @Anonymous Shocked

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 2 of 4

captainprice
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 165 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 4 Solutions
Wait till 8.1 and cyan get released you will not believe the improvements,8.1. brings to system.im running it on my 620 and 520 cant wait for the final version and cyan to be released
Message 3 of 4

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thank you for the heads up @captainprice

slight_smile
Message 4 of 4