cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No 3G support for HTC HERO??!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable
####

Just bought a brand new HTC Hero, unlocked in white and am being told by O2 that they do not directly support this phone so I cant get 3G at all unless I some how get the settings from HTC themselves!!??

####
Message 1 of 87
86 REPLIES 86

Anonymous
Not applicable

The different modes are:
G - GPRS (32-40kbps)
E - EDGE (~96kbps)
3G - 3rd Generation (128-320kbps)
H - HSDPA (1.2Mbps-7.2Mbps)
SO yes, H is *DEFINITELY* faster than 3G. slight_smile
I don't think O2 offer "full speed" HSDPA though, and limit it to under 2Mbps. Speed tests I've run come back as 1.5-1.7Mbps.

Many thanks! grin
Message 11 of 87

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for posting up those instructions, however having slavishly followed every setting I'm still stuck with GPRS.
Has anyone else had success? I'm using an O2 Simplicity SIM on an HTC Magic with Hero firmware, but I'd still expect it to work. Any clues?

Thanks, John
Message 12 of 87

Anonymous
Not applicable
Do you have a 3G SIM ? Are you in a 3G area?
Message 13 of 87

Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks a lot for the reply. in this pohone's settings, after the password you will have somthing like Authentication protol. where you have to choose between PAP, CHAP and NONE.

one more thing, do i have to call the O2 people to activate my card....for interest then after i have put in these settings.

sorry for asking these questions, i am new here.

thanks
Message 14 of 87

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi guys,
Well i'll start bugging O2 to support my Hero then...
thanks!

For a phone they don't sell or support? Good luck with that!
Message 15 of 87

Anonymous
Not applicable
hello guys... i just got the htc hero and adjust the settings as you said but it does not connect to web.
is there anything else i can do?

ps. i have a pay as you go o2 sim
Message 16 of 87

Anonymous
Level 9: Fired up
  • 1487 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Ah, the settings I put up are for contract.
PAYG settings are exactly the same with 2 things different. Under the "mobile web" settings, use these instead.

APN: payandgo.o2.co.uk
Username: payandgo
Message 17 of 87

Anonymous
Not applicable
Does anyone know if the same instructions will work with the tattoo?? i really want to buy one but obviously can't if its not supported!

thank you kelly x
Message 18 of 87

Anonymous
Level 9: Fired up
  • 1487 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Okay, here's the deal.

As long as your handset is Android based, you should be able to follow the procedure generally. I've seen a Hero and a Magic and they both had the same method of setting up mobile web. I'm *assuming* that all Android handsets are the same in this respect. slight_smile
Message 19 of 87

Anonymous
Not applicable
I've heard that O2 have now added the Hero profile so MMS should come through at normal size. I've not had one yet to confirm this though, so don't blame me if it's incorrect, haha!
Message 20 of 87