cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No 3G support for HTC HERO??!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable
####

Just bought a brand new HTC Hero, unlocked in white and am being told by O2 that they do not directly support this phone so I cant get 3G at all unless I some how get the settings from HTC themselves!!??

####
Message 1 of 87
86 REPLIES 86

Anonymous
Level 9: Fired up
  • 1487 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
What they mean is that you can't get 3G internet without putting in the settings.
Here's how you do it (these settings work on the HTC Magic, another Android phone)...

Press 'Menu'.
Tap 'Settings'.
Tap 'Wireless Controls'.
Tap 'Mobile networks'.
Tap 'Access Point Names'.
Press 'Menu'.
Tap 'Add APN'

Now key in the following settings:

Name: mobile web
APN: mobile.o2.co.uk
Proxy: *LEAVE BLANK*
Port: *LEAVE BLANK*
Username: web
Password: password
Server: *LEAVE BLANK*
MMSC: *LEAVE BLANK*
MMS Proxy: *LEAVE BLANK*
MMS Port: *LEAVE BLANK*
MCC: 234
MNC: 10
APN Type: default

Press 'Menu'
Tap 'Save'

Press 'Back'.
Press 'Menu'.
Tap 'Add APN'

Name: O2 MMS
APN: wap.o2.co.uk
Proxy: http://wap.o2.co.uk
Port:9201
Username: o2wap
Password: password
Server: http://mmsc.mms.o2.co.uk:8002
MMSC: http://mmsc.mms.o2.co.uk:8002
MMSproxy: 193.113.200.195
MMS port: 8080
MCC: 234
MNC: 10
APN type: mms

Press 'Menu'
Tap 'Save'

Keep tapping 'Back' until you're back at your Home screen.
Restart your phone and you should now have G/E/3G/H internet access as well as the ability to send/receive MMS. There is a problem with MMS on Android that limits image resolution to 160x120.
Message 2 of 87

Anonymous
Not applicable
did this work? thanks!
Message 3 of 87

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi, Thank you for these details - its has worked on my HTC Hero which was originally on Orange until I had it unlocked yesterday to use with my O2 Sim.

Your instructions worked perfectly, but I had to input the data several times until I realised you missed out a stage - when you have entered the details you need to press MENU and then SAVE before you press back - or the input is lost!

Good luck and enjoy your HTC Hero (which is awesome!)
Message 4 of 87

Anonymous
  • 1487 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Editted to reflect what you suggested.
Thanks!
Message 5 of 87

Anonymous
Not applicable
do the mms settings work? my hero recieves mms as very tiny pics, and i have heard it is bc of O2...
Message 6 of 87

Anonymous
Not applicable
What's the difference between it showing: 3G & H (HSDPA?). And which is faster. Thanks
Message 7 of 87

Anonymous
  • 1487 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
do the mms settings work? my hero recieves mms as very tiny pics, and i have heard it is bc of O2...

The MMS settings work just fine, but because Android doesn't identify the handset to the network properly, the network sends MMS images at the default tiny size. At present there is no easy fix for it, but that might change in the coming months as more Android phones hit the market.
What's the difference between it showing: 3G & H (HSDPA?). And which is faster. Thanks

The different modes are:
G - GPRS (32-40kbps)
E - EDGE (~96kbps)
3G - 3rd Generation (128-320kbps)
H - HSDPA (1.2Mbps-7.2Mbps)

SO yes, H is *DEFINITELY* faster than 3G. slight_smile
I don't think O2 offer "full speed" HSDPA though, and limit it to under 2Mbps. Speed tests I've run come back as 1.5-1.7Mbps.
Message 8 of 87

Anonymous
Not applicable

The MMS settings work just fine, but because Android doesn't identify the handset to the network properly, the network sends MMS images at the default tiny size. At present there is no easy fix for it, but that might change in the coming months as more Android phones hit the market.

I've heard a similar, but slightly different, story. One that places the blame back at O2's feet. I've heard that because they don't have the phone's ID on their systems it's sending out the default pic size. Some people have managed to copy the ID that a Nokia N95 sends, make their Hero give out that ID, and then they've received full size pictures. If that's the case then O2 just need to update their systems to recognise the Hero.
Message 9 of 87

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi guys,
Well i'll start bugging O2 to support my Hero then...
thanks!
Message 10 of 87