cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mis-selling - O2 agent lied to me in attempt to get me to take a monthly contract

Anonymous
Not applicable
I received a phone call from an O2 agent telling me that because I had been a long standing customer (over 10/15 years since it was BT Cellnet) on Pay As You Go, I had "earned a 15% discount" on a monthly contract SIM. I said I wouldn't agree to it without having a look at what other networks were offering. In my search I discovered that the 15% discount is an open offer at the minute to anyone signing up. Consequently, I had not "earned" any kind of special loyal customer discount as the O2 agent led me to believe. I told him this when he phoned back a week later and he attempted to fudge the issue by assuring me that I was able to have a 15% discount. I pointed out that it was not a unique discount to me as he had led me to believe. He went quiet for a few seconds and then had the audacity to ask if i would go ahead with the offer. I told him that I wouldn't beacuse he had misled and lied to me and hadn't been straight with me. 

I am disgusted at this behaviour from a brand that I have trusted for a very long time. It was attempted mis-selling which is not acceptable to anyone in this day and age. I wish to bring this mattter to the Chairman of the Company or other appropriate Senior Officer. How can I do that?

This episode now has me considering leaving a brand that I had complete confidence in for a very long time. A shame!
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144336 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Yes, still current.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you MI5. Email now sent.

It will be interesting to see the reply. I will post an update when I receive it.

Message 12 of 20

MI5
  • 144336 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Please do mate.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 20

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

If you included a contact number you should receive a call from one of his office underlings.

Message 14 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Anonymous have you received a reply yet?
Message 15 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was contacted today by a member of the Executive Relations team who apologised and upheld my complaint.

She refered to me having been "contacted by one of our sales teams recently and offered a 15% discount on a Pay Monthly tariff which you were led to believe had been earned due to the length of time you'd been with O2 on Pay and Go. You subsequently found out that on our web site we are offering 15% off of various tariffs with no loyalty requirement."

She advised: "I've had the sales call listened to and the manager of the advisor you spoke to is going to give feedback to the sales advisor about the misleading information he gave you."

She apologised and added:

"It's important that anyone acting on behalf of O2 gives accurate information to our customers so I appreciate you bringing this to our attention."

Giving "feedback" to the sales advisor does not suggest to me that O2 views the dishonesty with the same degree of disgust as me!  Rather disappointing.

Message 16 of 20

Cleoriff
  • 122922 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

So....whilst saying the 'manager would be giving feedback to the sales advisor who misled you' (i.e.told lies) there appears to be no further action taken?

I personally would have been more impressed had they offered me a 20% discount as a gesture of goodwill....

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 17 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable

An insignificant £10 credit has been added to my phone credit!

Even that miserly amount suggests to me that the issue is of little significance to O2. Not much of a gesture to restore customer confidence.

I am considering referring the matter to the Ombudsman.

Message 18 of 20

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Misselling is a rather more serious than an adviser getting feedback from his manager. £10 credit is a joke to be honest. They should give you the option to return the phone and walk away from the contract.

Message 19 of 20

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
↑ that!
Message 20 of 20