cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Military Discount on 5S

Anonymous
Not applicable
My upgrade was available from November, so I went into an O2 store to upgrade from a 4S to a 5S and claim my 30% military discount. Went through the whole process only to be told that the 5S wasn't available for the discount. This was not stated on the military discount website, nor was it in the T&Cs on the O2 site. This info is only available to O2 staff in store and on live chat. I also wanted to trade my old phone in and they offered me £152 which has now, a month later, turned into £122! I argued that this was not acceptable as the longer they make me wait for my military discount the less they are going to give me for trade in. They said that there is nothing they can do until the 5S is given the same discounts as every other handset. Is this fair or just deliberately misleading?
Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144336 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
The 5s always has, since launch, been exempt from any of the discount schemes.
Fair or not is questionable but it is, at least, consistent......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

MI5
  • 144336 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
The 5s always has, since launch, been exempt from any of the discount schemes.
Fair or not is questionable but it is, at least, consistent......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 10

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I'm sure O2 haven't run a military specific discount since the end of last year.

Any O2 Open discount excludes this phone in part 19:

http://static.o2.co.uk/www/docs/termsandconditions/revised-terms_excl-iph%205s.pdf

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 3 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
There are other outlets that would buy your phone off you which may yield more of a return.

Some online sites and high street shops such as cex for example.
Message 4 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the replies guys. O2 have nearly always given military discounts outside of the norm, but generally only advertise on forces discount sites. The website still has the old offer which you would think that they would have taken off by now, bearing in mind that it is almost a year out of date. I tried to search the site for O2 open but just got zero results!
Was going to put old phone on auction site but when they offered me £152 trade in I didn't see the point as would have only made a few quid more than that after fees!
Ah well, will just have to wait!!
Message 5 of 10

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

This maybe the old promotion you have seen before:

http://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/rewards/armed-forces-promotion

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 6 of 10

MI5
  • 144336 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

Links to O2 Open Sign Up

I guess you use "Armed Forces" as the Organisation ?

Currently using:
Message 7 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Only 2 days ago I renewed my contract (with a 5s) and was told that i would qualify for a 30% tarif discount (being a veteran who retired 18 months ago from the Army after 38 years service).  Most of the process was carried out by the staff in the store. yesterday I received a text to inform me that i do not qualify. I believe that im right in saying that veterans do qualify as does the 5s now......... Please explain?

Message 8 of 10

MI5
  • 144336 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
I suggest you get the code from my link above and resubmit your claim by text.
Text "OPEN" followed by your open code, mobile number, name and postcode to 2020

Currently using:
Message 9 of 10

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

You do qualify. You need to query this with customer service or use the link below to complain. 

http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

Message 10 of 10