cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Massive O2 call charge against a REJECTED telemarketing call

Anonymous
Not applicable

A friend of mine got a bit of a shock the other week to find a telemarketing call from a Vodafone affiliate (Aquira, Glasgow number 01414194380) which she rejected as she didn't recognise the number - and her Android phone log confirms she did - resulted in a massive bill to HER from O2. I forget the amount but I think it was over £100 and the call lasted many hours according to O2. 

I took a photo of the the log on her phone and sent it to O2, but they are adamant SHE made the call and are refusing to refund.  

I called the number myself and it cycles endlessly around Aquira's IVR without ever disconnecting - so if you WERE unfortunate enough to dial it back by mistake, I can understand how such a massive bill could rack up. But there is simply no evidence that happened.  I then found two more reports on the net relating to the SAME issue with calls from the SAME Glasgow number, and a third case which sounds similar.  

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/311-bill-not-my-fault/td-p/685943
http://www.moneysupermarket.com/community/forums/t/charged-for-phone-calls-that-phoned-me-58418.aspx

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/experts/article-2441376/Why-wont-BT-remove-89-charge-18-hour-phon...

So my question is, does anyone out there know under what technical circumstances or fault could this happen? In theory it doesn't seem possible but it obviously is. 

Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi YorkshireMidge and Welcome to the Community Forum,

I'm sorry to hear of your friends situation.

If the call is showing to O2 then they will charge for the call and I appreciate you taking the picture ,but call logs can be deleted in the phone so perhaps that's why O2 are refuting.

Your friend can make their situation known here http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain/complain officially for this to be further investigated.

They should also try to contact the company for reimbursement. I've checked that number via a Google Search and this does support your claim that it is connected to a Company connected to Vodaphone. May be a long shot but you could make them aware of the situation. They may / may not become involved.

They also can use http://www.phonepayplus.org.uk/ to make a complaint and try to get reimbursement.

Some phones have a Call and Texting Blocking Facility. If your friends phone has this then ask them to add that number to the list so they receive no more calls from them and cannot then make an outbound call to them.

Let us know how you get on.
Message 2 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your reply - it is already a complaint with O2. Next step is the Ombudsman I guess.

I did actually approach Vodafone when it happened (pointing out the other two cases involving the same number) but they refused to accept any responsibility as it is O2 raising the charge.

The point about log manipulation is fair enough - if it wasn't for the fact that my friend hasn't had a smartphone for long and didn't know where to find it (O2 talked her through having a look initially). Besides, had she made a mistake herself, she's the sort of fine upstanding citizen who would have admitted it and talked nicely to them to try and get a refund!

The company are still making unsolicited calls in spite of Vodafone saying they would take her off the list, and she's understandably concerned that whatever happened, could happen again. Though on balance, Aquira are a persistent phone pest judging by reports, so if it was a widespread issue, I'm sure it would be equally widely reported. O2 are saying they can't block the number either - so might have to look into whether there is an app to do this.  

Message 3 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

You're welcome and I hope your friend finds a speedy resolution.

As I say some phones have the blocking facility built in via their own software. If you let us know which they have we can advise further.

Good luck.
Message 4 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable
How on earth can this be allowed too happen?
Message 5 of 32

Cleoriff
  • 122371 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
How on earth can this be allowed too happen?

I am just wondering whether this is similar to the sort of thing that can happen with a landline...in that the spammer does not actually 'end call'....so every time you try and call out you are still logged on to a premium rate number?....

Having said that, I have just realised that the ops friend actually didn't initiate the call...it was a call she received....

However.. it was a thought and maybe someone far more technically more astute than me could maybe confirm whether such a glitch, could in fact, mean that this call was charging her?...Smiley Frustrated

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 32

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

I think that's a cop-out as you as a customer have no control over incoming calls. O2 can view on your account who you have called and how long for. The reason for such high charges as I have been lead to believe as calls are rerouted worldwide to justify their high-cost and the operator gets a cut from the profit. 

Luckily I have not had this happen to me however I will now be adding that telephone number to my reject list.

On a landline, this sort of practice is more notorious; such as instead of leaving a message on your machine they will play high-pitched data flow (sounds like a facsimile machine) for a long time. Another trick is if you have withheld numbers blocked, by rerouting through other networks by lifting the handset you effectively unblock your number.

As I am no expert on this I can't give any information on the advanced communcations they use however I bet it's something llike VOiP so tracking down information on people is harder to do.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 7 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable
Good idea anticpated

Number added too.
Message 8 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think there is anything fraudulent going on. The company making the call is legit (as far as this type of business can ever be considered to be!). It isn't a premium rate number either - it's a national rate.

My friend has just confirmed that the "call" according to O2 was 7hrs 39 minutes long (which also begs the question whether a smartphone battery would have lasted that long if it had been a real call) and 463 minutes were outside her inclusive minutes, which are then charged at 40p/minute. Result = eyewatering bill.

O2 did send an e-mail after the event, to advise they had noted the abnormal spend - but it's a bit late then.

Message 9 of 32

Anonymous
Not applicable
Smartphones if on a decent battery level can sustain a call that long.

However a typical user would have used their phone within that kind of time frame either so make a call, send a text or use the net.

Did your friend not use their phone in those 7 hours ?
Message 10 of 32