cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marking a Message as Accepted Solution

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have noticed lately that a number of contributors have added to or amended their "signatures" with reminders to posters that if they find a reply helpful they might consider marking it as an "accepted solution".  That is fair enough, but three things occur to me.  (1) Many replies contain helpful information though they may not in fact actually SOLVE whatever problem  the OP raised. (2) Presumably only the OP (or perhaps a Mod.) can mark a message as an accepted solution.  There is no way that other readers can indicate a post has been helpful to them other than posting another message to say so.  I don't think the Kudos system covers that scenario.  there.   (3) Finally as signatures appear under every message they turn up in the off-topic board as well where reminders to mark a message as an accepted solution is somewhat irrelevant.

I have come to the view that the signature area really ought to contain some useful information (for example the links that some users have) rather than merely humourous remarks or mottoes so I will in future refrain from using it in that way. 

@Toby   @Anonymous might include some consideration of these points in any review or redesign of the forum.

Gerry

Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35

Anonymous
Not applicable
When it's accepted a banner appears in baby blue in the original post. Hit that and you're taken to the solution.

Edit ; also a tick appears next to it in the full board view.

I think I've seen mods peruse the boards in the past and mark them.
Message 11 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous If I have an O2 problem, come to the Community, do a search, find a list of messages that may relate to my problem, is there an easier or quicker way to find if there is an accepted solution other than wading trhough the threads identified by the search results?   (Yes, I know I am a lazy old man but I have worked hard to achieve that status!)

Gerry

Message 12 of 36

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144338 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
The search result will display a green tick next to any threads with accepted solutions so that should indicate the more suitable threads to read.
Admins go through and mark some as accepted to keep the forum tidy but they all may not be the best answer......
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 13 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Anonymous

I personally add 'Tags' to my posts (when I remember slight_smile ) so if a person performs a search it helps to find key words.

More from Toby here http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-Feedback/Tagging-guidelines/m-p/637377/highlight/true#M43151
Message 14 of 36

jonsie
  • 93231 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions

As we all know, what works for one may not work for another and sometimes there are many answers to cover the same problem.

I would suggest that having perused the forum and the stated solutions, people should start a new thread if that particular thread hasn't resolved their issue. That way the problem can be addressed and then marked as a solution.

Message 15 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

Have to confess  I had forgotten about TAGS myself @Anonymous They are very useful if used correctly and as you rightly say if we remember to use them!!

Anyway, thanks folks for all the contributions.  I think we have given this a good old airing.  Much appreciated.

Gerry

PS  - As there is a wide range of useful viewpoints on this subject I don't think it would be wise or diplomatic to mark any single one as the accepted solution.  Maybe what we really need is a means to draw a line at some point in a thread and say that's it folks, lets talk about something else.  I feel we've got there!!!

Message 16 of 36

jonsie
  • 93231 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6978 Solutions

Done!

Message 17 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's a great line  @jonsie  - dead true and straight. Full marks!! 

Gerry

Message 18 of 36

Cleoriff
  • 122927 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

I would suggest that having perused the forum and the stated solutions, people should start a new thread if that particular thread hasn't resolved their issue. That way the problem can be addressed and then marked as a solution.

I agree totally with that @jonsie I feel however that mods and admin may well say "there are too many threads started on this one topic". However if they wish individuals to mark a problem as solved this is something they will have to endure.

Another issue.....showing something from our Help guides  'How to reset your Samsung after a firmware update'...pages and pages. Different folk asking different questions. It was a guide written by @MI5 so he was the OP....how on earth could anyone else mark anything as a solution? (when ALL the advice given on there invariably solved that individual question?)

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 19 of 36

aldaweb
Level 26: Upbeat
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@Cleoriff With the help guides I feel that the guide itself should be a single post and locked as with another forum I frequent and if someone wants to commebnt then a separate thread should be used for discussion.

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 20 of 36