cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marking a Message as Accepted Solution

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have noticed lately that a number of contributors have added to or amended their "signatures" with reminders to posters that if they find a reply helpful they might consider marking it as an "accepted solution".  That is fair enough, but three things occur to me.  (1) Many replies contain helpful information though they may not in fact actually SOLVE whatever problem  the OP raised. (2) Presumably only the OP (or perhaps a Mod.) can mark a message as an accepted solution.  There is no way that other readers can indicate a post has been helpful to them other than posting another message to say so.  I don't think the Kudos system covers that scenario.  there.   (3) Finally as signatures appear under every message they turn up in the off-topic board as well where reminders to mark a message as an accepted solution is somewhat irrelevant.

I have come to the view that the signature area really ought to contain some useful information (for example the links that some users have) rather than merely humourous remarks or mottoes so I will in future refrain from using it in that way. 

@Toby   @Anonymous might include some consideration of these points in any review or redesign of the forum.

Gerry

Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35

Anonymous
Not applicable

Cheers cheers kiddo

thank you Thanks! 

wonder how the footie is getting on ..... or as its gone 10pm, maybe its finished

I don't care anyway ..... let's have another brandy in Wanty's

I've gone off-subject & apologies to those concerned :womanembarrassed:

Message 31 of 36

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

As requested...the drinks for you two are on the bar at Wantys..Now THAT is service Drum

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 32 of 36

jonsie
  • 92913 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Been to wanty's only to find the place deserted.

Don't worry @Anonymous we don't worry about being credited for accepted solutions. We are just here to hopefully help people and no one will be upset whichever post you accept as solution.:smileyhappy:

Message 33 of 36

Cleoriff
  • 122357 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

Don't worry @Anonymous we don't worry about being credited for accepted solutions. We are just here to hopefully help people and no one will be upset whichever post you accept as solution.:smileyhappy:

I think I get 'annoyed'on behalf of you guys. When I see a thread  that has been given a solution..I personally get  frustrated that it isn't marked as solved. That's when I want the ability to mark it solved (even though I wasn't the OP) Smiley Frustrated

I have also said before, that threads that go on for a long time and have lots of folk joining in, can have many problems solved time and time again...but only the OP can mark it solved ONCE Smiley Surprised

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 34 of 36

Anonymous
Not applicable

GM All

thanks to you all Thanks! for recent postings on this thread (I'm not op) ..... but @Cleoriff has just mentioned clearly what I was striving to express yesterday ..... you only have ONE chance to mark thread  as 'Accepted Solution' ..... & the 2 threads where I was op ie photos from disk to laptop ..... disks from laptop to O2C/fb/email all the help from @MI5 & @jonsie was useful in the process of getting to goal as-it-were ..... & I was conscious of others viewing the thread(s) ..... = ..... the former being a particular long thread, mainly due to me 'getting poorly' half way through & not being able to concentrate, but wanting desperately to succeed in said subjects 

it may be that this girl ..... well..... just can't do it ..... the girl can't do it .....Crazy

I know I am a challenge

I feel like O2C dinosaur in this the 21st century

is it time to think again a suggestion from Adamtemp64 ? ..... who att of my initial foray into the above mentioned 1st thread posted something like ..... O2C need to have a general computer section where people can ask questions

Cleoriff was heavily instrumental in getting my 1st thread moved to O2C other products & services section, this did enable me to give kudos, which I did as I could only mark one of the many helpful posts as 'Accepted Solution ..... & I did think it was time I closed the thread ..... as it was/is me who is still the O2C Tecchie Twozza

I have gone on too much ..... Destroy

* where there's muck there's brass *

Yorkshire saying

Message 35 of 36

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Hi Cleo,

The OP's solution will always be the most appropriate 'Accepted' post, regardless of if other member's join the discussion for their own issues. If you see this happening, I'll create a new thread for that member.

Also, feel free to ask members if they have their solution in a thread and to accept one if they would like, unless it is about your own post. I know that sounds a little odd, but I hope it makes sense slight_smile
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 36 of 36