cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Major problems in faulty phone replacement - does Franz Kaffka run O2 ??

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, this may seem a bit of a long rant. But it's not without cause - and not without logic  -  enjoy   :))

I learned last Friday that o2's customers MAY experience major issues when it comes to faulty-phone replacement. On 12th September I picked up a Samsung Galaxy Sprite as a contract upgrade to my Ace in Ashford Kent (where I was visiting). I activated the new sim on 14th via 20220, when back home in Shropshire. By the Friday, it had turned itself off about 10 times, and the battery had run to about 3% from >90% overnight more than once, with nothing but wifi running - router about 12 feet away.

I went to o2 Telford store (my nearest home-town). Their instant reaction was to confirm from my description and a quick check of the battery and card installations that it was faulty - but exchange: 'no can do'. They explained that they are a franchise store, as is Ashford, and cannot dispense replacements that come from other stores. I might be in luck if I did a 90 miles round trip to Wolverhampton (a 'true' o2 store) or a 500 mile good-fun jaunt back to Ashford. Nowhere have I been able to find anything written down to indicate that o2 CANNOT or will not meet the replacement needs of people who buy in one town and then find themselves in another. Nothing to say 'you must seek faulty-goods replacement ONLY at this store', in other words.

The helpful store staff suggested I contact 202, which I duly did - instore. I spoke with a helpful Customer Services agent (Angie Bentham), who was able to determine from her supervisor (to her own surprise) that I did NOT have to do any cross-country travelling to replace the o2-supplied, not-fit-for-purpose goods, but that I could be sent a replacement by courier - she said it would be Monday just gone, and she would text me to confirm the likely time slot. All I needed to do was to hand over the phone itself and the battery, and take the new ones, and the courier would go off happy with the same box that had been broght from the back of the van. But, Monday done gone - Tuesday done gone. No courier: no replacement.

On the late afternoon of 23rd I spoke again with 202. Poor Angie's record was of no use at all in trying to recapture the history, so we started again. Again, the agent had to refer to her supervisor - and came back with clear advice (reference number 584554083). I was told to take these steps (each of which I double, or even triple checked.
** take it to Telford
** go through a cancel contract process
** they will take the phone back - 'yes, they will' - even without the box if you cannot find it
** I can engage in a new upgrade contract and get a replacement phone - but it will mean a 24 hour wait

Just got back home. "No we cannot. In any case, you have not got the box it came in, so we cannot return it" - what was it that Will wrote, "a cardboard box: a cardboard box! My Kingdom for a cardboard box". Emma got onto Customer Services again and between us we spent about 20 minutes in interaction. They also were adamant that the box was essential. I said that the box MIGHT have been destroyed - and it sounded as though, if it had, I might forever be lumbered with a contract to use a duff phone for the next two years of the contract, until I could extricate myself from o2's clutches and rush across the road to Vodaphone. NOTE - it says nowhere on the box (which I now have found) that it must be retained in case a return is called for. And they said it couldn't be courier replaced.

So what do I do? Do I cancel my standing order and instruct my solicitor to be prepared for a legal battle with o2? Do I go to Vodaphone and try to get my 12 year old o2-dispensed number transferred onto their network? I can hear what o2's needs are both instore and Customer Services, and appreciate that you have processes to adhere to - but I am the paying customer, and the phone supplied is FAULTY - who is ACTIVELY responsive to my needs?

Wonder of wonders: at the end of it all, I was informed that I COULD get a replacement by courier, even if I could not find the box. "But Emma, I was told that last Friday, why should I believe it this time?". Emma assured me that this was the real deal: she has determined with C.S. without any ambiguity that it will happen. I sit in hope.

As a victim of Customer Dis-service, let me summarise for you, dear readers, the o2 inadequacies that have caused me (and others) lost time, lost energy, and stress.
1 - the organisation is NOT a national provider network, but a local franchise structure. So beware, those of you who might do an upgrade in Ashford today, and move house to Sunderland tomorrow, only to find that your Samsung is rubbish!! You may have trouble in store.
2 - Customer Services may give guidance and information that is unreliable, and in direct contradiction to the rules and protocols in place in the stores. The do not always sing from the same hymn sheet.
3 - though THEY do not mention it, tell all your friends and associates that the keeping of the cardboard box is as close as you can get to the keeping of a sliver of St. Paul's molar beneath your pillow - without it, heaven is closed !!

Bye now - :)))

Peter

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Keep us updated please.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 11 of 17

jonsie
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions
Message 12 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable

Delayed final post until all was well and truly settled. It did arrive in good time, and it has worked perfectly since.

So thanks to those at o2 Customer Care and o2's Telford franchise store who helped me on the way. And they did help - no person, as such, was at any time an impediment.

Message 13 of 17

jonsie
  • 92919 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Thanks for the update - Glad all is well slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 15 of 17

Cleoriff
  • 122363 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Good to hear @Anonymous  wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 17

Anonymous
Not applicable