cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG G4 First Impressions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Apologies to anyone who has already read this, but @Anonymous suggested I move it here to reach a wider audience... Here goes again!

First impressions

In an attempt to cover all the bases I’ll break this down into sections of what I’ve looked at so far.

Screen

Wow. Very impressed with the display quality of the phone, but I’m still yet to be sold on having this kind of resolution (QHD) on a phone display, even at 5.5”, as it comes across as an unnecessary power drain what with the processor having to move all those extra pixels around. That being said, the colours just ‘pop’ without being overblown, and the photo I took of my back garden looked better on the screen than it did in person…

Camera

Initial use of the camera has also left me suitably impressed, particularly the speed in which it focuses and take the picture. Using the Nexus 5 I would frequently miss photo opportunities because the camera didn’t open and/or focus quickly enough. I don’t think I’ll be having that issue with the G4. I’ll post a few of the images I’ve taken, so I hope you like photos of dogs and gardens (but mainly my dog)…

LG Software

I’ve read previously that LG were never particularly good with their Android builds, and they had a tendency to be a little slow or juddery. So far, I’ve not noticed any issues, moving around between apps and screen shows no noticeable lag. Their launcher is ok, and to be honest there are so many other options for launchers out there (Google Now, Action Launcher 3, even Nokia’s Z Launcher), that would never be a deal breaker for me anyway. Aside from the slightly different layout on the settings menu (which starts off tabbed, but can thankfully be changed to a list view), you can avoid any of LG’s apps anyway, just using whatever favourites you might already have.

Hardware

It’s a big phone, there’s no escaping that fact, but considering the 5.5” screen size, it doesn’t feel that large. This is likely helped by the curved back of the device so it’s sits quite happily in your hand. Unless you have large hands though, don’t expect to use it one handed. It’s certainly more ergonomic than the Nexus 5 I normally use, although that is in a Spigen Slim Armor case which adds a little extra girth to the proceedings. The model I’ve got is the plastic one, and plastic it is, feels a little cheap if I’m honest, but no worse than any other plastic smartphone out there. Given the choice, I’d go for a leather back, as it can’t feel any worse than the plastic does, and should stop the phone feeling a little less slippery. Hopefully LG plan on releasing these as standalone purchases once the phone is out.

Device storage is 32Gb (formatted capacity 29.8Gb), with the option of adding an SD card. System takes up 8.91Gb of the on device storage, leaving you ~20.89Gb to do with as you wish, a definite improvement over the 16Gb options we used to have, and I’m glad all the manufacturers are starting to use this as a minimum now.

Summary

So far I’m pretty impressed with the quality of the G4. Yes, the plastic on the back feels a little cheap, but at least if you scratch it up it’s easy to replace, unlike a lot of other devices out there without removable backs. I’ll update with battery life and other bits as time goes on (and pictures, lots and lots of pictures :smileyhappy:)

Some pictures will follow over the weekend, of both the device and photos taken with it.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

As mentioned in the old link, full review to follow in a few weeks once I've had chance to put it through it's paces a bit more...

Message 2 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Good news @Anonymous I look forward to the pictures and your further review of the G4  wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

First, a couple of photos of the phone

Front

IMG_20150523_095855.jpg

Back

IMG_20150523_095855.jpg

Message 4 of 10

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12061 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions

@Anonymous is there any update to your review? How is life 6 months down the line?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 8 of 10

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

@gmarkj wrote:

@Anonymous is there any update to your review? How is life 6 months down the line?

I'm also eager to know @gmarkj slight_smile

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 9 of 10

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12061 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
Yep - particularly as this is likely to be the phone I upgrade to...

...so long as nothing exceptional is released between now and March!!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 10 of 10