cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a limit to the number of phones I can unlock via O2?

Sammy_boy
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 171 Posts
  • 12 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
I have a bit of a phone buying habit, I have an iPhone 5s and a Samsung galaxy s4 mini I'd like to unlock. This isn't to sell on or for profit, it's simply so I can also use my EE payg sim in the phones.

I have a contract with o2,and used it to unlock an iPhone 5 earlier this year. Is there a 'fair use' policy or limit to the number of phones per year I can unlock using the free unlock service?
Message 1 of 21
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144064 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
As long as the IMEI number of the phone is connected to your account you shouldn't have any problems.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

jonsie
  • 93149 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

As long as the phones have been used with your O2 sim for calls and texts O2 will unlock them. Monthly is free, P&G have certain criteria such as 12 months being used on the network. They do sometimes decline if the phone hasn't been bought from O2.

Message 2 of 21

Sammy_boy
Level 6: Acolyte
  • 171 Posts
  • 12 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Yes, am using both phones with my contract sim at one time or another. Both phones were bought secondhand but so was the iPhone I had unlocked earlier this year.
Message 3 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
Then you should be fine as long as you fill the criteria.

O2 help link http://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-and-devices/unlocking-your-iphone-and-using-it-on-another-network
Message 4 of 21

jonsie
  • 93149 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

You should be fine then. It's just that some people have had unlock declined as the phone was bought elsewhere. Just fill in the form and go for it.

Message 5 of 21

MI5
  • 144064 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
As long as the IMEI number of the phone is connected to your account you shouldn't have any problems.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 21

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13532 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 309 Solutions
Cough* I done 3 within a month, you shouldn't have a problem.
Message 7 of 21

Sammy_boy
  • 171 Posts
  • 12 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
Thanks for the replies everyone! Does the sim have to be in the phone for a certain length of time? I've used a bit of data and sent some texts on both phones, the Samsung has only been used for a day with me so far.
Message 8 of 21

jonsie
  • 93149 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

You just need to have used it but I would make a couple of calls. There is no time scale to be in the phone.

Message 9 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

Its recommeneded to make a few chargeable calls in order to latch the phones imei number to the 02 account.

Message 10 of 21