cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IPhone 6 WiFi Calling

Anonymous
Not applicable
I noticed that Apple said that WiFi calling in the UK would be supported by EE. Anyone know if that is an exclusive deal, or can we expect O2 to offer the same in due course? Given the appalling reception for O2 I get in our house this would be a great feature.
Message 1 of 144
143 REPLIES 143

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
Didn't think they did - is this more re-training for live chat required?

I got it from a somewhat "higher" level (in writing).  Not a live chat thing.  But for some reason the letter had "Private & Confidenial" at the top so can't publish its content (at least I assume I can't), so I've only raised the subject and answers in a general context and not quoting the detail of the letter.

Message 71 of 144

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Sounds like you may know more about this than anyone else at the moment.
Live chat told another customer that it was coming soon but as Toby mentioned above, there is nothing official yet.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 72 of 144

Anonymous
Not applicable

fingers crossed it is happening soon. WIFIcalling is a carrier update. it really works spot on (tried on EE). 

All i want from xmas from O2 is wificalling...

I've been good(ish) this year

Message 73 of 144

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

fingers crossed it is happening soon. WIFIcalling is a carrier update. it really works spot on (tried on EE). 

All i want from xmas drom O2 is wificalling...

Good(ish) may not be 'quite' good enough @Anonymous Whistle

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 74 of 144

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

All i want from xmas drom O2 is wificalling...

Whatever you do, don't hold your breath....

Message 75 of 144

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Apart from a stray rumour allegedly from Live Chat, O2 have always strongly refuted it in favour of Tugo.
Until we get official word from O2 that won't change....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 76 of 144

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Live chat seem to live on planet Zog, I've booked 2 weeks there in August 2016.

Message 77 of 144

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a suspicion that O2 will be implementing WiFi Calling only on phones supporting VoLTE.  It would be a pretty silly step to take, but I'm getting suspicions.  And that would exclude all those iPhone people who don't like lugging around massive chunck of screen.

Part of me thinks O2 would not be that daft, whereas part of me suspects they are.

Unless of course they can persuade Apple to enable VoLTE on e.g. iPhone 5x (chip set supports it, justit's disabled in the software).

Message 78 of 144

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
What's behind your thinking that VoLTE is required for WiFi calling?

Currently using:
Message 79 of 144

Anonymous
Not applicable

@MI5 wrote:
What's behind your thinking that VoLTE is required for WiFi calling?

I don't think that VoLTE is "required" for WiFi calling (EE implement WiFi calling on phones that do not support VoLTE).  I think O2 are going to require it - mainly because I believe they are placing importance on being able to (transparently) roam from WiFi to GSM (VoLTE) or vice versa (though I guess that might not always work so well - which is one of the reasons why the whole idea is a bit daft).

I don't "know" this, just putting 2 and 2 together from bits of info you pick-up from people in O2. I know it's daft and does not meet customer needs but we are talking about O2 so customer needs are something completely different from what O2 want to do.

Message 80 of 144