cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

‘How to be safe on line’

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear All,

I wonder what everyone would think about starting a conversation/an educational thread on ‘how to be safe on line’? (I browsed the forum and it’s not a topic I have came across yet, hence my suggestion to you all).

This is of interest for me and my reasoning is from a parent point of view, as we cannot stop our children from accessing the evolving technology, (e.g. smartphones, Facebook, BBM, etc.), yet, we (the parents) should keep up with the technology in order to have a better understanding of it and do our best to ensure that our kids are safe/protected on line and enjoying the benefits of it...

However, for less tech minded people like me, but willing to learn, I would benefit from a simple 'user friendly' guide and support, where you can ask any basic questions without being uncomfortable for been so simple...

Just a thought....  please let us know yours.

Kind regards...    D

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

@perksie wrote:

A browser add on that I use is Trusteer Rapport which is offered by most UK banks free to all their customers.

It will check that you are only signing into a legitimate version of a web site (not just your bank), and I feel everybody should use it.

Here is the Google page with them listed:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=free+trusteer+download&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-G...

Thank you Perksie,

I am endorsing too the Trusteer Rapport - I have use it for several years now on my home computer and it's reliable. However, I have tried to download it directly into my Blackberry unsuccessfully; is there a way to do so, please?

Kind regards...

Message 21 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Toby wrote:

(Unless O2 send me a new phone ey?:))

Haha wink

I'll collate all of the thoughts on this in the top post soon, as there have been so many great points made. I'll then take them to the my colleagues and see if we can add anything to main page from this great discussion.

We could perhaps add a part about purchasing stuff online too? It's not related in terms of bullying, but definitely catches a lot of people out.

Have you ever had a bad experience online? How did you handle it? Success stories are so helpful as it provides a step-by-step account slight_smile

Hi Toby, regarding 'bad experience online', or preventing this, I have used successfully from my desktop computer the following:

Bank Safe Online (http://www.banksafeonline.org.uk/request-advice) recommend that if you have received a phishing or scam email, either from a bank, or unknown company that you provide the details of the email to Action Fraud, the UK's national fraud and internet crime reporting centre, (http://www.actionfraud.police.uk/), and/or if the scam email mentions a bank you may feel that you want to report a phishing email to your bank directly, (links above).

Many thanks..... D

Message 22 of 26

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Some great additions New2Smartphones.

There's lots of useful info here!
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 23 of 26

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I am endorsing too the Trusteer Rapport - I have use it for several years now on my home computer and it's reliable. However, I have tried to download it directly into my Blackberry unsuccessfully; is there a way to do so, please?

I'm not sure the only thing I could see on their site was a paid for version.
To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 24 of 26

Anonymous
Not applicable

Tomorrow, Tuesday 4th Feb is Safer Internet Day www.saferinternetday.org

Other good websites include ceop.police.uk and thinkuknow.co.uk

Message 25 of 26

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi guys,

Not sure if you've seen this, but there is an article on 'The Blue' about child online protection which is well worth a read if you're interested:

Children and the Internet: From safer to better

I'll edit the OP of this thread soon to highlight all of the great info here. There's enough for a digest! slight_smile

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 26 of 26