cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can you stop O2 harassing you with marketing texts?

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is an issue that is seriously upsetting me. I have rung 2220 and selected NO communication. Yet O2 continues to text me spam marketing texts (the latest was priority moments). I am fed up with wasting and disrupting my life either seeing what text has arrived or ringing 2220 to try and stop them. I tried to contact O2 about the issue, but they do not have an email address. I refuse to ring the call centre. Now that the iphone is available with other providers I am seriously considering moving contracts. I expect my mobile to be my private phone with only essential communication on it. In their desperation to market new products O2 are invading my privacy & harassing me. On top of the fact that they sold my mobile number to marketing companies when I signed up, I am seriously annoyed. Is there any way of stopping O2 spam marketing messages that works?

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

O2 won't care whether you use the internet or not, it's of no concern to them.

Quite a few of the older phones are capable of connecting to the internet, I have an old Sony K800 and that works fine although the screen is a bit small.

If you have only just had the advertising calls and texts turned off it could take a week or two to become effective so you might have to allow them a bit of time.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 11 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

After 3 working days of receiving the same marketing text, I called 2220 and chose "don't contact me for anything".  Didn't help.

After a week and a half of the daily text, I called up customer support and they said they'd now switched it off.  Didn't help.

Today I called up, raised an official complaint, they told me I need to text STOP to 20502 (which I have now done).  Apparently the texts should stop in the next 3 days.  If they're still happening on Friday I'm going to leave O2.  Fingers crossed I don't have to go through that hassle...

Message 12 of 18

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions
Hi Olaf123,

Sorry to hear about your trouble with this. If the cut-off of emails doesn't happen, let me know via PM and I'll get it sorted.
Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 14 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
what link please? I go to O2 and end up going round in circles
Message 15 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have received a text from O2 saying "You opted out of our emails and texts so you're not getting to hear about all the stuff you get just for being with O2" Yes. That would be why I opted out. But O2 are ignoring my wishes and sending me texts anyway. At 2am !!!!!!!
Message 16 of 18

jonsie
  • 93188 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

It beggars belief, you opt out of marketing texts so it seems to someone a good idea to send you a text??? Crazy!

Message 17 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:

It beggars belief, you opt out of marketing texts so it seems to someone a good idea to send you a text??? Crazy!

And...at 2am. Yeah that would put the nail in the coffin I would imagine Crazy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 18 of 18