cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can you stop O2 harassing you with marketing texts?

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is an issue that is seriously upsetting me. I have rung 2220 and selected NO communication. Yet O2 continues to text me spam marketing texts (the latest was priority moments). I am fed up with wasting and disrupting my life either seeing what text has arrived or ringing 2220 to try and stop them. I tried to contact O2 about the issue, but they do not have an email address. I refuse to ring the call centre. Now that the iphone is available with other providers I am seriously considering moving contracts. I expect my mobile to be my private phone with only essential communication on it. In their desperation to market new products O2 are invading my privacy & harassing me. On top of the fact that they sold my mobile number to marketing companies when I signed up, I am seriously annoyed. Is there any way of stopping O2 spam marketing messages that works?

Message 1 of 18
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Email link in my signature directly below. Have you updated your preferences in My O2?

Message 2 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Email link in my signature directly below. Have you updated your preferences in My O2?

Message 2 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

22202 stop text you or ring you 

Message 3 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

that 2220 number is bogus all it does is offer you more ways for them to contact you about stuff you don't want.  I've told o2 via live chat to stop sending me priority moment texts but it didn't make any difference, in fact it is now worse.  I am now endiing my contract and going to another provicer, I asked for my PAC code but I am going to not use it now cos I want a new phone number so they can never contact me again. O2 sucks and it spends too much money on advertising which means  less money is spent on customers. Good ridance 02 from a once loyal customer.

Message 4 of 18

jonsie
  • 93229 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Well, you can amend your marketing preferences in My O2 but good luck with your new provider. I suspect you will still get marketing texts.

Message 5 of 18

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

I've told o2 via live chat to stop sending me priority moment texts but it didn't make any difference, in fact it is now worse.

You only get these if you have signed up for Priority Moments and they can of course be stopped.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 6 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Im in the same boat, getting these texts every other day and it's really getting to me. 2220 is a waste of time cancelled all (week ago)and as said above in my o2 pref don't want to be contacted... done this on Saturday and surprise just got another text. Help me Stop this....Thanks.
Message 7 of 18

Struggling
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'd been struggling for months and months to stop these texts, and eventually found out how it should be done. But they've continued today.

So back I go to 2220 and try again. Round and round in and out of menus. Press # to start this, press # to stop that. And each time you have to go back to the beginning to hear all the options again.

I've never used the internet on my phone (too expensive at PAYG) but suddenly the internet starts downloading apps and charging me, even though the phone was locked against accidental key presses. Eventually Customer Services disconnected the internet from my phone (thank you). A week later Twitter charges me for looking at something!!! I don't have a Twitter account and don't want one! Customer Services can't understand that and refund my money.

Another week goes by then I start getting texts saying I can get 500mb free if I use the internet on my phone!!! What!!! Is no-one listening?

Last night I try and stop all the text spam from O2 (as above) and this morning I get another 500mb offer regarding the internet. So back into 2220 to try and block these texts. I'm far from confident that it's worked though, as I couldn't hear an option to stop offers for the internet.

Why can't there be ONE simple option to Stop ALL texts?

I've had to sign up here to voice my frustration.... now I'm worried I'll start getting e-mails from O2, even though I've not ticked the boxes.

LISTEN O2: I don't want to know about any offers. I just want to talk/text to friends and family in emergencies.

Message 8 of 18

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Turning off data in your phone would stop it connecting to the internet at all, very easy to do on most phones.

If you have a smartphone and it has apps such as Twitter it will try and update them, that's what it is supposed to do.

Twitter makes no charges it will be that you are using the internet online and are being charged for the data you have used.

Have you logged into MyO2 and checked what settings you have in there regards contacting you about services?

O2 will not respond to you here, this is where customers come for help from other customers.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 9 of 18

Struggling
  • 4 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for your reply Perksie

!: Customer Services tried to talk me through disconnecting data something or other but the menu options didn't appear to be there. The backroom boys disconnected my phone from the internet and the £1 I'd been charged for the App download was refunded.

As I said my phone was locked against accidental key presses at the time and was not in use.

It was a few days after this that my phone rang (again it was on lock) and there were 3 (unknown to me) names showing with something to do with "trending" I believe. I presume this was something to do with Twitter... but I have never twittered in my life!

Customer Services couldn't understand how that happened, as they could see that the internet was not available on my phone. I had been charged, Customer Services refunded.

2: I don't have a smart phone apparently.

3: I didn't know anything about logging into MyO2 until today (thank you for that). I didn't even know it existed.

I've had a mobile for around 10 years and this particular phone for about 3 years, with no problems until the last few months.

I looked at my account a few minutes ago and it seems to be set for receiving no marketing text messages from O2, but I thought I'd done that yesterday on the phone, but still a message came through today about an internet mbs offer. I can't understand why those messages came when I don't have internet access on my phone! My suspicious mind tells me that O2 are trying to get me to use the internet!

Message 10 of 18