cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! Misinformed by O2 on using TUGO to"make free int calls abroad" Now huge bill of£551.08!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm really distressed at the mo as I've received absolutely shocking service from O2 in regards to being completely misinformed from their Customer Service Advisors on a number of occasions about using the TUGO app to make free international calls when abroad and have since been hit with a HUGE bill which I can't afford to pay!! 😞

I'm sure I can't be the only one who has been affected by this and so wondered if anyone else out there is currently in the same position as me and if so are you doing anything to try and fight it? 

When I visited the O2 shop in May 2014, I told the Customer Sales Rep in store that I'd be travelling abroad and would be using my phone while there and that I, therefore, was reluntant to take out a contract as I didn't want to be hit with huge international call charges. He advised me not to worry as the perfect solution to that would be to download and "use the TU GO app to make free international calls when connected onto WIFI while abroad". He put the app onto my phone for me there and then and, therefore, it didn't even occur to me that I should then go out of my way to double check the Ts & Cs myself as I trusted his word - which I now know was a grave mistake!!

I was therefore absolutely shocked to have recently received a bill for £551.08, which included £442.06 for international calls charges made since Oct 2014! So I phoned up O2 Customer Services thinking there must be some kind of mistake as I had not even taken my O2 sim card with me while travelling and had only been using local sims and wifi. The first agent I spoke to agreed that there must be an error as she said that "I should not be charged for making calls via wifi". She then sent my bill away for recalculation only for the request to come back as declined. So I phoned up again asking why to only then have the true purpose of the TU GO app explained to me and so have been left with the full amount to pay! 

I've tried to fight my case by putting in a complaint to 'O2 Complaint Review Services', however, although Lisa Wortley, the lady investigating it for me agreed that I've been misadvised and admitted that O2 are at fault all she has offered to do is to put a credit onto my account of  £150  "as a gesture of goodwill and as a thank you for my continued patience", This doesn't come anywhere near to covering the cost of such a huge bill which I would never have got if I hadn't been misadvised about the nature of TU GO in the first place!!

I oringinally visited the O2 store with the intention of buying my phone outright to use with local sims as I wanted to avoid any possibility of being hit with high international call charges only to be persuaded that getting a contract and using the "free TUGO app" would be the perfect solution for me as it would save me the cost of the phone.  

I am feeling really distressed as the bill is now overdue and I can't afford to pay it and so wondered if anyone had any advice as to how I might be able to take this further??

£551.08 is mere pennys to O2 , however, it is a huge amount for me to try and find when I am currently not working!! 

I really feel that the very least they can do for misinforming me and putting me through such stress is to offer to remove the cost of the international calls from my account but all i've been told is:

"We'll do all we can to identify anybody who may have let you down and arrange further training and development where it's needed. Your comments will help us to improve our services to ensure such mistakes aren't repeated in future.Customer satisfaction is something we at O2 take extremely seriously, as we feel this is how we set ourselves apart from the competition. Any reports of poor service, failed promises and dissatisfaction are handled with the up most importance and we'll take the appropriate steps to avoid any further instances." 

What comfort is that to me when I am the one who has been left with a huge unjustified bill to pay and am now going to get myself in debt because of it??

Message 1 of 9
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It's a sad tale that the full T&C's were not made clear to you and also that you did not take the time to understand them yourself before going travelling. However, you now only have one option left, which is to request a letter of deadlock from O2 Complaints and take your case to the Ombudsman.
I would think you have a strong case as O2 have appeared to admit to you that you were misinformed but the Ombudsman will want to see all evidence of this and will investigate both sides of the story fully.
http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain/alternative-dispute-resolution
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

TuGo is designed initially to allow you to make/receive calls and texts over wifi in areas of poor signal.

An added advantage is that you are able to do the sme overseas when connected to wifi. However this uses your contracted allowances which are exactly the same as if you were in the UK.

It does not matter if there is no O2 sim in the phone as TuGo is directly linked to your O2 number and is advantageous to me. I too use a local simcard and people can contact me via Tugo on my normal UK number.

If you call a UK landline or mobile number this would use your allowed minutes. If you were to call a number not covered by your contracted allowances such as a local mobile or a landline then you would be charged at international rates just as you would in the UK.

I think this is what has happened and possibly you have gone over your allowances too.

TuGo does not allow you to make free international calls and was never designed to.

It is staggering that people selling O2 products are clueless about their own apps. Whilst you are still left with a hefty bill £150 is a reasonable gesture but it's for you to decide whether to push for a further reduction due to the misinformtion although you have exhausted the official complaint route.

Message 2 of 9

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
It's a sad tale that the full T&C's were not made clear to you and also that you did not take the time to understand them yourself before going travelling. However, you now only have one option left, which is to request a letter of deadlock from O2 Complaints and take your case to the Ombudsman.
I would think you have a strong case as O2 have appeared to admit to you that you were misinformed but the Ombudsman will want to see all evidence of this and will investigate both sides of the story fully.
http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain/alternative-dispute-resolution
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 3 of 9

lucids
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 50 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I don't think this case should be considered in isolation either. I got tugo to use on my tablet not long after introduction (back when it was so awful and never worked), thankfully it has now improved substaionally. I too remember being given some complete guff advice re international calls and because i had already studied in detail what was covered questioned the CS rep on what they had told me. They went away to check and came back apologising saying they were mistaken. I think many CS have assumed that because the calls are via wifi they are all free. I hope the OP gets a refund on their charges as I have no doubt that they deserve it.

Message 4 of 9

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Thanks for adding to this thread @lucids  It certainly shows there is a complete lack of understanding from some CS on the topic of TuGo.

I hope the poster comes back to see what you have written. Thanks wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with those testimonies. Even though it is written in the T&C's, it is absolutely not apparent on the service description on O2 website. I found out a bill of 225£ this morning and I am chocked that consumers are not well informed by the provider O2. Plus, despite the european's legislation we do not receive any text or email from O2 informing about the overcharge of the bill prior to the final bill.

Tugo was the only reason why I was keeping O2, so I will end my contract. Indeed, O2 is more expensive and the service is not better than other providers. 

Have a good day,

Sophie

Message 6 of 9

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

TuGo world exactly how it's designed to, uses your allowance over WiFi. Anything not covered or numbers not included in your normal allowance will be exactly the same using TuGo. I find it unacceptable that staff are not clued up or trained in the use of TuGo.

Message 7 of 9

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@jonsie wrote:
I find it unacceptable that staff are not clued up or trained in the use of TuGo.

or provide "misleading" info !

Currently using:
Message 8 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am in the same situation. Called overseas through TU go and saddled with a large bill

Message 9 of 9