Galaxy S5 is coming (unpacking event)

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

http://www.samsung.com/uk/unpacked/

Monday, 24th February 2014, 7pm GMT

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 1 of 121
120 REPLIES 120

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Everyone  Wave

I'm a newbie, so bear with me if I'm on the wrong thread (or it's been previously mentioned somewhere).

I'm up for upgrade in August, and am veering away from the iPhone towards a Samsung - that much is definite.

I have 2 handsets, one for me - and one for my wife. My wife's decided on the Note 3 (she needs the huge screen and pen due to her disabilities) and I'm steering that way too.  I'm struggling to see what advantages the S5 has over the Note 3?  I'm not seeing any, am I missing anything?  I did like the way Samsung emphasised that the "consumer" decided what was changing for the S5 etc, so they can blame "the consumer" if it doesn't fly off the shelves lol - I personally was kind of expecting an all singing/all dancing innovative handset that almost stuck it's fingers up at Apple and said "Ha! Beat that!" LOL

I'm aware the Note 3 is huge, and has the pen - and the S5 has the heart rate monitor and is resistant to people who don't dust, and throw their £600(odd) phones down the loo. But a phone's almost like your best friend for 2 years - you've got to love it and not want to rip it's insides out when spending 24/7 with it for 730 days. It needs to stay fast, and not look out of place within a year/18 months.

Any thoughts from you guys? I know getting a new phone is a personal thing, but it's good to hear from the community (some with the handset already - or come April for the S5).

Thanks in advance Help

Message 71 of 121

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi and Welcome to the forum,

I would say wait until the s5 is released to the general public and then watch the un boxing videos and user reviews to get a true array of feedback and not just off the manufacturer.

and also have a play with the working demo models in the highstreet stores when its available.

I believe @Anonymous uses the Note 3 and im sure he can give you some pointers on that device.

A recent user review http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-Feedback/Samsung-Galaxy-Note-3-a-review/m-p/583880/highlight/true#M40007

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Discussions-Feedback/Device-Trial-Note-3/m-p/605278#U605278

Message 72 of 121

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
There isn't too much different between the two and remember the Note 4 will be out around September time which will no doubt bring the S5's waterproofing features and fingerprint scanner. The Note is aimed more at people who want more of a tablet and less of a phone whilst the S5 is the opposite.
It purely comes down to personal choice although the Note 3 is exceptionally good.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 73 of 121

Anonymous
Not applicable

Brilliant - Thanks Guys! Fantastic

Was good to read actual user reviews rather than the generic reviews you find on manufacturer's websites.

Will hang around to lookie at the S5 user reviews when that's released and judge from there. 
... my gut's telling me a Note 3 at the moment tho haha.

Bye Bye Apple.... lol Wave

Message 74 of 121

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

You won't be disappointed wink

Currently using:
Message 75 of 121

Toby
Former Staff
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You won't be disappointed wink

@MI5; I am shocked at this opinion! tongue_winking

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 76 of 121

Anonymous
Not applicable
Rofl

wink
Message 77 of 121

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a note 3 I came from the s4 I love mine and wouldn't be without it it is so fast and the screen is glorious I've looked at the specs for the s5 and IMO the note 3 is still the better phone by far
Message 78 of 121

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

In some ways, the Note 3 was always designed to be the flagship telephone. On paper, the S5 may appear to be better though.

It has a 2.5Ghz processor speed plus a faster memory speed which may give it a slight edge combined with the faster GPU core and IPS (Image Processor Sensor) speed which takes care of the capture and "shutter" functions.

If there is no other telephone out there performing to the same standard then maybe then I would say, "yeah..this is going to be unbeatable". If you need things to stand out and a combination of a tablet like size, then Note 3 is the best option (IMO).

If you are more concerned with speed and less with size, then the G5 or any other Snapdragon 800 based telephone is going to do the biz.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 79 of 121

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am currently trialling a Note 3 from o2 under the device loan trial. Have had it three days now (my usual phone is the S4 so I had an idea what to expect).

To be honest this is an awesome piece of kit, so much so I can't put the thing down! !!! I Will be writing a review of it on here on a couple of weeks so please watch out for it. Have to say though that I love it! !!!
Message 80 of 121