Galaxy S5 is coming (unpacking event)

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144315 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

http://www.samsung.com/uk/unpacked/

Monday, 24th February 2014, 7pm GMT

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 1 of 121
120 REPLIES 120

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

IP67 Water & Dust resistant = Confirmed! Awesome stuff, is this a feature that interests you guys?

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 41 of 121

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Screen Specs & Battery = Confirmed
5.1" Super AMOLED Full HD. This also includes the ability to use the new 'super dimming' display for night-use, or an extra bright mode in bright sunlight.

Battery capacity is now 2,800mAh. 10 hours web surfing on LTE or 12 hours of video playback.

Message 42 of 121

Anonymous
Not applicable
I always inner smile when they quote battery times. If it hits those quotes then that's impressive but not always the case.
Message 43 of 121

Anonymous
Not applicable
Anything that's helps to stop water and dust ingression is welcomed Chris.
Message 44 of 121

Anonymous
Not applicable
Was anyone else getting an echo effect where the words were coming through twice. Refreshed browser and now fine.
Message 45 of 121

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Camera specs = Confirmed

16MP Fast Autofocus. AF speed is 0.3s, the fastest ever on a smartphone

HDR Rich Tone
Instantly controls light exposure at moment of focus - what you see is what you get, no need to wait for processing. HDR is also available on videos - another smartphone first.

Selective Focus
Control what is in focus and what isn't for camera control never seen before. See photo below for an example.

AF.jpg

Message 46 of 121

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Chris_K wrote:

IP67 Water & Dust resistant = Confirmed! Awesome stuff, is this a feature that interests you guys?

Very important to me, I use my phone in the shower for music or watching TV in the bath and don't want to risk my warranty from steam.

I've also used my phone in the swimming pool on holiday and got some priceless shots so ideally would want a waterproof phone again.

Message 47 of 121

Anonymous
Not applicable
Rofl. @Anonymous

Water resistant not water proof.

Care to share those pool Photo's.

Back on topic.
Message 48 of 121

Chris_K
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

The waterproof function to me is most welcome. Living in Scotland, I can't begin to explain how soaking wet it can be. With previous devices I've had to keep them in my pocket when out and about, paranoid about water damage. With the S5, that fear would be gone!

Ultra Power Saving Mode
Some of you, like me, may use 3rd party apps to help micro-manage your battery usage. There are many apps out there, some better than others, but Samsung have noticed this and implemented it into the S5. If the battery goes to 10% battery, it can still last up to 24hrs in standby mode thanks to switching to black & white colour mode.

Finger Print Scanner = Confirmed
This was demonstrated with a PayPal payment during the live announcement. Just swipe your finger and hey presto. It can also be used to unlock the phone, unlock photo albums securely.

Kids Mode. Great news, parents!
Switch to kid mode and designate certain games or apps that you would like your child to have access to, and nothing more. Safe, secure, child friendly... Fantastic feature for parents or guardians.

Message 49 of 121

Anonymous
Not applicable
I can vouch for the way the finger print scanner makes things easier.
Message 50 of 121